Greenish, runny poops, lack of appetite and sits hunched/ puffed up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Azulegg, May 13, 2010.

1. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    My best tame laying hen has been ill for the past few days. She's 5, and now I am assuming this could be what finishes her off. [​IMG] She's an ameraucana cross hen. She sleeps in the coop which is basically a wood shed converted to a hen house. We do have a mouse problem, so I am wondering if those rodents are spreading disease.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 5 years old, weight ?, ameraucana cross
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. puffed up feathers, not moving around much, hunched with butt towards ground with tail down, you can tell she feels bad.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a few days
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. do not know
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. drinking water with GQF added, and eating some raw egg
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runnish greenish.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Treating with colloidal silver, echinachea with goldenseal
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? in the case of lack of money due to slow economy I cannot take this bird to the vet [​IMG]....................................................................................

2. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    Is she sitting in the nest?

3. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    She was sitting in the nest box this morning. Thing is, I am thinking possible infection as I just suddenly lost an ameraucana hen 2 weeks ago. That hen went suddenly lethargic and into shock then died the next day. That hen also had runny green poops. I don't know what's up.

As to the sick hen I am nursing right now, I put her outside in an enclosure by herself so she can get into the sun to warm up, or to go into the shade. She will stand in a corner most of the time. She's not herself.

4. esthermgr

esthermgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Today I added copti detox to her regimine (it's an herbal combo that is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal). I also noticed she laid an egg, but it's smaller than what normally she lays. Later this afternoon, she acted like she wanted back into the side she's used to being in, so I put her in the coop. She went out with her mates, and began eating some. This is something she hasn't done in days. I hope this is a good sign.

BTW my other birds are getting the same regimine (GQF, copti-detox and echinacea). I don't want them getting what she's got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by