Greenish yolks? Are they safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mpathhealr, Sep 19, 2010.

1. mpathhealr

mpathhealr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    I feed my chickens weeds from the garden, chard, old cucumbers broken open so they can get at the seeds and inner parts, watermelon sometimes; along with their lay mash and scratch. Can this be causing the darkened yolks? Are they safe to eat?

My mother thinks my eggs have a funny taste, and I tell her it's because of what they eat, it being more a free range diet (Even though they don't get to wander all over my yard), and that she is really just used to the mass production eggs, even at our local egg farm with something like 5000 birds!

Advice and information welcomed!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like they are eating enough greens to color the yolks.

Yard eggs are going to taste different from store bought, anyway. Yes, what they eat and how they live affects the taste. It took me months to get used to the taste with this flock, even though I've eaten home grown eggs off and on all my life. It had been several years since I'd eaten them, is all, and I had gotten used to store bought.

Like many on here, they tasted odd at first, but now, who wants a store bought egg?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    oops

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by