greens for the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peachachecha, Aug 28, 2011.

1. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have purchased some long narrow trays and a small bag of grass seed and I plan on planting grass in these trays (staggering the planting) so I can hopefully have fresh grass for my three girls all winter long. They don't care for most greens but love grass.

2. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I've been thinking about greens for winter too. Will you be growing the grass indoors?

3. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    I am going to attempt it indoors, it would be too cold outside. Have no idea if it will work but hopefully it will and they can have greens all year round. I have planted the seed today - I can't let them free range due to restrictions for city folk and no fenced yard.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also sprout wheat,radish, mustard,and other types of seeds and legumes for them. I like using mung beans and fenugreek. They are both high in protein and the fenugreek really seems to increase the appetite of baby chicks. I just buy fenugreek and mustard seeds from a spice store online, two pounds at a time, very cheap.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Sprouting is a great idea and radishes are super easy to grow to seed if you've got some extra garden space.

I'm thinking of doing a small-scale hydroponic lettuce set up for the winter. Also would like to do some cool weather greens in hoop-covered beds this fall and see how far that gets me.

I think grass is a good idea too...

6. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    I will look on line for the different seeds - always lots of good ideas on this forum. Thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by