greens for the winter

peachachecha

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I have purchased some long narrow trays and a small bag of grass seed and I plan on planting grass in these trays (staggering the planting) so I can hopefully have fresh grass for my three girls all winter long. They don't care for most greens but love grass.

I am going to attempt it indoors, it would be too cold outside. Have no idea if it will work but hopefully it will and they can have greens all year round. I have planted the seed today - I can't let them free range due to restrictions for city folk and no fenced yard.

You can also sprout wheat,radish, mustard,and other types of seeds and legumes for them. I like using mung beans and fenugreek. They are both high in protein and the fenugreek really seems to increase the appetite of baby chicks. I just buy fenugreek and mustard seeds from a spice store online, two pounds at a time, very cheap.

Last edited:
Sprouting is a great idea and radishes are super easy to grow to seed if you've got some extra garden space.

I'm thinking of doing a small-scale hydroponic lettuce set up for the winter. Also would like to do some cool weather greens in hoop-covered beds this fall and see how far that gets me.

I think grass is a good idea too...

I will look on line for the different seeds - always lots of good ideas on this forum. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom