greens seem really important part of diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jul 19, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free range birds (juveniles and adults) consume at best only a third the amount of pelleted feed during summer as during winter. They seem to eat a very large amount of green plant material and will not consume more pellets even when offered. Feces produced is large in volume with lots of plant material in it. Growth is very good. I am surprized at how much plant material is consumed. They will not pass up insects.

2. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    I have 2 flocks at present. One flock is on lush pasture and in horse dry lot. They pass up the treats (yogurt, cottage cheese etc) that the second flock devours. They second flock is in a very large with green grass. They cannot get enough treats which include mealworms. I agree that pasture is far superior to other feeds.

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    My flock is so small at this point I can't risk letting them free range. It pains me though because they are sticking their heads through the fence to crop what grass they can reach. I've been supplementing their feed with sunflower sprouts which they eat with relish.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Plants my birds seem to concentrate on are forbs, mostly legumes (clovers). They do consume some grasses but only the most tender peices.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    There is a feral rooster that has taken up here with my hens. He will not touch the crumbles and he shows them how to reach through the pickets on the fence to get to the grass. I have to watch him. One day I went out to put them up and he had three of them leading them off across the yard.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by