1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greeting all.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buzzlee, May 31, 2016.

1. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    My name is Jimmy-lee. I live in Anson Maine with my girlfriend, my 10yr old daughter, 3 dogs, 4 cats, 3 fish, a lionhead rabbit and 26 chickens. I bought the house 2 years ago and started my flock of chickens last summer. A friend only a few miles away has had her own mixed flock for a while and gave us what appeared to be RIR leghorn chicks 4 of them. Soon after my girlfriend found someone trying to re-home a rooster that was trying to mate the ducks on her farm but was human friendly. We brought him home to find he was missing a bunch of toes, so that became his name Toes. He is awesome. Runs around making crazy noises at drops of water getting the whole flock to run to him. As the 4 chicks grew they continued to act like hens but look like roosters. Only 1 had a name "Stupid" the one that never could do what the others were. I did a bunch of research and decided i could vent sex them. All roosters.. It was hard but i did slaughter them all. Luckily my girlfriend had worked for the Maine Wildlife park and was good at cleaning and packaging the meat for the freezer. She did check 3 of the chickens and decide i was right but said she didn't want to know if Stupid was a hen cause it would be sad for all of us. So now we need some hens. We went to an animal auction and waited forever. I kept saying "that one?" My girlfriend kept saying "rooster". Finally after a few hours and most of the chickens gone a very clean looking wooden slat box was put on the table with writing on it saying "light Brahma" it was a pair of young chickens. i won the auction at 7$. We assumed right away they were a couple (hen and roo) the had different looks, even though i vent sexed them to both be hens. One tail up other down. One also had a larger comb. We then found a few adds on people selling hens so we drove about an hour to each spot and got 6 more chicken. 4 of them were laying hens and the other 2 were surprise extra bantams someone had ordered. I did my best to vent sex them as hens. That fall we started getting eggs from the 2 Brahma, turned out they were both hens and bantam versions at that laying medium light brown eggs. Then soon after 2 more eggs started appearing. One the same size as the Brahma but with dark brown speckles on it and the other the size of a Serama egg and light peach colored. Winter went well. I didn't heat their coop. Just shut the door every night. I decided to order some day old chicks and have a second coop. Ordered 14 different breeds all hens but 1 a Silver Laced Polish Rooster. They will be here in the spring. Everyone survived the winter. This spring one of the hens that looks like a red EE bantam had a twist in it's neck. We brought it in the garage and gave her selenium and vitamin E and she came out of it after 3 weeks of care. Then our largest hen, who looked like a buff Orpington started acting lethargic. My girlfriend brought her in the garage to soak her butt in warm water and get rid of the caked on poop and when she did the bird went into a seizure. She quickly dis-articulated it's neck to stop it. After further inspection it looks like she had a staff infection from a wound on her foot pad. Her name was Tangerine. We collected what eggs of hers were still possibly fertile along with a few from each of our hens to put in the incubator. I also order 12 hatching eggs from a fun and funky collection and mentioned in the order that i was trying to get a Naked neck to add to my flock. they arrived a week later. We candled the eggs and found that all but 3 of our eggs were not fertile. They all happened to be the green ones. Since we only have one hen that lays that we know who their parents will be. The funky batch had 1 egg not fertile and it happened that they sent 2 extra so i was still at 13. All 3 green eggs hatched making an all black chick, a all grey chick and one mixed. By day 3 i decided that the black one was a rooster based on wing development. My girlfriend named them in honor of Tangerine. They are Kumquat, Clementine and OJ. 9 of the funky eggs hatched. 3 failed to pip and the other never developed. 6 of them are showing the Naked Neck gene. Woot!! i picked the most naked one and the coolest looking to be chosen between when i can tell who's a hen. My girlfriend also picked 2 that didn't show the naked gene to add to her flock (the original chickens became "her flock" once i went and ordered some for me). I gave the other 5 to my friend a few miles away. A week later 6 chicks arrived. Speckled Sussex, Salmon Faverolle, Egyptian Fayoumis, Blue Splash Maran, Barred Rock Hens and the Silver laced Polish rooster. The Speckled Sussex passed from impacted crop on day 5. We think she may have eaten a large piece of wood chip. on day 7 the last of my chicks arrived. All 8 hens this time. Golden Buff (Red Star), Welsummer, White Crested Black Polish Bantam, Dark Cornish, Blue Andalusian, Super Blue Egg Layer, Cream Legbar and a Lavender Orpington. The Polish bantam died during shipping. The Dark Cornish soon got an impacted crop and died after a few days of me forcing it to regurgitate the mass if food and bile. I moved the 11 remaining chicks into a 4' by 8' room a made them in my garage along with the Naked Neck i decided to keep. My girlfriend took the other Naked Neck i didn't pick and added it to her flock. The youngest of my chicks is now almost 6 weeks old. I gave them all Newcastle vaccine and have pox in the fridge to be used when they are old enough. Today i found the Salmon Faverolle on her side with one leg completely limp. I assumed she broke it jumping off a roost and wrapped it in vetrap. i then set the food and water dishes next to her and took the other chick out to their new run.i checked on her every hour and she seemed to be just sitting their relaxing. then at about 8 hours she went into seizure and when it stopped her body went completely stiff. RIP "Favorite" was her name. So that's what's up at this funny farm. It's dark out now so I'm gonna go see if the chicks found their way up into the coop and probably give them a hand =) Thanks for reading

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    I almost forgot to mention we now have a honey bee hive. Installed the Bees last week. Should be harvesting honey by next summer. I also tap the maple trees around my house and make syrup. I added a bunch of photos to go with my story above to my profile as well. Thanks again for taking the time to get to know me. I'm sure I'll be asking for your help in no time. =)

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us. Make yourself at home and ask as many questions as neede I and many others are here to help so I kin dad got lost when you said that the rooster is missing some toes is it missing the whole toe or just the nail?

4. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    He is missing from the Knuckle down on a few of his toes. The person i got him from needed to get rid of him cause he was mating the ducks. She said he lost them from frostbite cause he loves water.

5. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    He walks fine but doesn't really run fast. Making him easy to pick up. I toss him in the run with some corn and he makes so much noise all the other chickens come running in for some. He is a great rooster.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    He must have though he was a duck if it gets in the water again in the winter try putting some petroleum jelly on his toes.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    Yeah we did that last winter to try and help prevent more frostbite. His feet did great. Luckily for him we don't have a pond on our property =)

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Us that's how roosters call his lady's over to come eat he must be like my rooster who just showed up in the middle of winter and if it wasn't for him I would never have gotten any chickens and he won't eat anything until his lady's are done its there instincts to protect and provide for his flock mates.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

We have three ponds with snapping turtles.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jimmy- Lee, Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by