Greeting from Cork, Ireland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cork2016, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Cork2016

Cork2016 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    I have a mixture of Highline Whites, Bluebells and Rhode Island Reds and Kacki Campbells ducks
    One of my Blue bells keeps pecking the eyes of the duck who submits to her and also follows it around. it pecked the eyes of the first duck which i had to dispatch. i had treated the eye area with saline solution and have separated them but its not fair to the duck. has anyone got an ideal of what i should do other that get rid of the Hen? many thanks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard with us.

I'm sorry, I can't think of another option for your hen, but maybe others will.

All the best
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you had to dispatch one of your ducks, that's such a shame. I too can't think of what else to do other than get rid of the offending hen. Things like this can become a habit for them which could be hard to break.

Could you get your duck another friend and keep them seperate from your chickens?

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Glad you joined us! My sister lives in Bantry! What about the "pinless peepers" for the offending hen? That might stop her!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree and was about to suggest pinless peepers and if they don't work mean hen will probably make good soup. Could you keep your ducks separate from the chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by