Greeting from Rome, GA

fatboysmith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. I started raising chickens when a friend had what turned out to be a game hen and three chicks wander up in her yard after a storm. My wife and I caught them and took them home and eventually built a coop and fenced in a corner of the yard with the coop. I traded the game chickens and bought a dozen of what where supposedly Gold-Laced Wyandottes from Tractor Supply Co. They ended up being Speckled Sussex. We also bought two Buff Orps and two Australorps. A dog attack took out all but three Sussex roosters and one Buff. My dad brought eleven black sex links and one sex link rooster. I sold two of the Sussex roosters. Currently I have one Sussex Roo, a black sex link roo (juvenille), and 8 black sex link hens. We are still learning and enjoying the chickens. My wife is a professional cake baker, uses 5+ dozen eggs per week, so we intend to make good use of the eggs from our flock asap.

Dennis

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Looks like you are putting together a nice flock! Sorry about your early losses, hope you get lots of eggs soon from the new girls!

The dog (now re-homed) that did the first massacre had shared the yard with the chickens for about a year. We turned our backs for 30 minutes and he had killed 14 chickens, left me with nothing but roosters. I went from 4 dogs down to one. We re-homed the other 3. The remaining dog is a part German Shepherd and helps keep raccoons and opossums run off. He lets the chickens walk on his back without paying them any attention. Lesson learned.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about your losses to the dogs. I'm glad you were able to rebuild your flock. Black Sex Links are my favorite kind of chickens. I've raised them for years and they are hardy, friendly, and egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Sorry for your loss, but you do have a really nice looking flock there.

Seems like you have everything under control now
thumbsup.gif
Glad the part German shepherd is their champion. Sounds like a great dog to have around
love.gif
. Welcome to the flock.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about the losses! I hope things will be all good from here on.

Back
Top Bottom