Greeting from the Red Hills!

serendip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
I'm Hannah. This is not my first foray into chicken keeping. We kept chickens on and off throughout my childhood, primarily Araucanas. Now that I'm out of college and living on my own, I decided it was time for my own flock. My roommates are thoroughly supportive and helped me pick out our four girls: two Ameracaunas and two Barred Rocks. They were born the week of March 9th and still have some growing to do.

A well-phrased google search led me to this fine site about a year ago.

I own a yarn shop in Tallahassee, Wooly Bully Natural Fibers . As the name eludes, our focus is on natural fibers - wool, alpaca, llama, cotton, soy, tencel, modal, bamboo, silk, linen, hemp, and corn. This isn't exactly what I saw myself doing, but I'm very happy and enjoy sharing my knowledge of fiber arts with others. Knitters and crocheters (yes, and the weavers and the dyers and the spinners) are wonderful people to be around, so I'm quite lucky I spend my days with them. Several patrons of the shop are also chicken keepers and I like touching base and hearing about their chicken exploits.

Note: The chicken wearing the shawl in my avatar is not my own. I knit one for my girls, but it didn't stay on long enough to get a good shot.

As for other creatures, I have one very special cat, Marly and I'm not ashamed to say she's my touchstone. Two other cats, a brother and sister, have adopted us. They're big cats and mostly white with some big black spots. Sitting in the sea of grass that is our front yard, they resemble small cows in a pasture.

I'm currently undertaking the task of building an environ/tractor for the chickens. This is my first significant building project and it's possible I'm in too deep. I say, Go big or go home!

I am quickly won over with pastries, books, cocktails, and in depth conversations regarding microbiology. I'm a Virgo and was appropriately born in the Year of the Rooster.

Hi Hannah!
welcome-byc.gif
from Middleburg, FL!

Back
Top Bottom