Greeting!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Xanous, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Xanous

Xanous New Egg

Oct 8, 2016
    Just saying hi! We finally got our home out of town with 3 acres and are about to convert an old shed into a coop. Someone is giving us a old rooster today (not sure if this is a good idea) so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions soon!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Your new home and 3 acres sound wonderful :clap Great to hear you are able convert a shed into a coop. Have you checked out the learning Center? Lots of fab articles there that will really help you out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    The coop section also has some great ideas on coops ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

As for the roo, do you have a safe place to keep him until the coop is done? I would check to see if he is healthy before you take him. Does he look bright & alert? Clean eyes & beak? Do you have a plan for getting him some hens so that he's not lonely?

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture. Be sure to ask all the questions you need to, there really is a section in the forum for everything.

Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Yorkshire gave you some good tips on what to look for in a chicken. Never be afraid to say no if it does not look ideal. It could potentially save your flock in the future. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! @Yorkshire Coop gave you some wonderful advice of what to look for in a healthy chicken so I'll just say hello and enjoy BYC! [​IMG]

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your new place out in the country.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it would be best to get a young rooster later. There is a glut of roosters available some even show/breeding quality. It's a buyers market. Beware of folks trying to dump birds on you. Also cockerels are eager to breed at an earlier age than pullets. To save them from unwanted attention - I suggest the pullets be older than the male.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by