~ Greetings All... Brand New, Want Advice On Coop & Run Plz...????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RedWrangler, Mar 29, 2016.

1. RedWrangler

RedWrangler New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Hey All... I am Newer than New @ this;) I picked up 6 VERY Active & healthy RIR Pullets 5 days ago.. They all all settled in with their inside & outside brooder boxes, w/ roosts that they are Already using, & not just for a pillow...(lol). I am working on converting a 10x10x10' tarp'd green house into the coop. It'll have a dirt floor, 3/4 plywood all the way around, going 1' into the ground. rest of the way up will be hardware cloth with a layer of window screen for good air flow in the Fla. heat. Roof will be translucent roofing sheet. Doing 3 nesting boxes about 1' off the ground, opposite side of the small door leading to the run. Some bells & whistles to be added..(lol) ***QUESTION IS***... *RUN SIZE*... I *Want* to do it 5x12' off the N side of the coop...*** WILL THAT BE ENOUGH SPACE FOR 6 HENS..???*** Run will be 4x4's for foundation, 2x4 stud for walls/roof, Reg.Chicken Wire with layer of window screen to enclose. No real danger during the day, My mastiff already baby sits the chicks...(lol) We do have black snakes every now & then & my neighbor *Had*, a mouse problem 2 yrs ago... ANY Advice on the entire thing is GREATLY Appreciated & Welcomed.... Ty, GOD Bless.. :)

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Food attracts mice (and mice attract snakes) but as long as you keep the food well contained mice will not be a problem

1 person likes this.
  3. RedWrangler

RedWrangler New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    ~Ty... good to know. I will be sure to remove the feed @ night, and since it's a dirt floor I was planning on raking it well before the girls settled in for the night. This should also keep it clean of poop I'm thinking... I just read on the *Chicken Chick* site, that fresh herbs are a natural deterant to pests and insects, guess it's worth a try since I already grow basil, mint, lavender, and sage.. My chicks are 8 days old and have full wing feathers, 1/2" tail's, & a few back feathers. They are DEF. a hand full as of yet, but fun to watch. I already have one that runs over & jumps to be picked up when she see's me in the am...(lol)

4. RedWrangler

RedWrangler New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    ~ may I ask you a ? about temp & wind on baby chicks..??

5. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    The general rule of thumb is 90 degrees for the first week, and 5 degrees less each following week. Keep chick's well sheltered, I keep in a large plastic tub, and DRY I just lost almost 25 chick's because somehow they got water all over them. I asked around and now use a quail waterer until they get bigger.
    You might check out the mama heating pad brooder. It is what I use now, after the water incident, I get the thread.

6. RedWrangler

RedWrangler New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    ~ sorry to hear about your losses, if any... I know the general temp guides, I really judge temp by how my girls are acting. They are the best tell. I do not want to kill them or make them sick, thats why i was wondering about the warm breeze. They do not seem to mind unless it's a hard wind, then they look shocked. They like it around 80-85 atm, with some liking it warmer, some like it 80..

7. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    It is ok, I have tried to fix the problems and am getting more soon. Yes I bet too hard of a gust would be a shock but as long as most of the time it is just a warm breeze they should be fine

8. RedWrangler

RedWrangler New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    ~ Ty... I made a 6' octagon pen outside w/ weed blocking cloth & they LOVE IT....(Lol) Now when they see me in the am, they try to jump out the night bin. They know they are going out...(Lol) Now I have one with a 1/2" piece of pine shaving stuck to her chest, she must have layed on poop in the night box. tried to get it off w/ a warm wet rag w/ no luck. I am hoping it falls off it the next day or 2. I'm trying now to find out if i can hold her over a bowl of warm water to soak her chest to get it off or not..?? You Live You Lean, I guess....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by