Greetings all!

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
First I have to say thank you all, I've already gained much knowledge from reading here. I had many chickens some years ago but at the time chicken info online was slim pickings so this time around I'm thrilled to know so much more.

I currently have 8 TSC barred rocks and Asian blacks(blues?) in my dressing room, an order placed for a pile of exciting breeds, and a coop nearing completion. Chickens for me are a pet hobby although of course the eggs will be great.

My coop is going to be great with the help of this forum! I decided to make it a loft challenge build, meaning it's being built almost completely with materials i already have, although likely I'll need to buy hinges and latches, haven't dug through those coffee cans in the garage yet so we'll see. I did buy new wire and hardware cloth, safety demands shiny new security features because well raccoons. Here in upstate NY we have critters and weather to spare so building carefully.

My horse barn is full of old doors, random lumber leftovers, just various things I've kept the hubs from burning over the years while he grumbled about my pack rat tendencies! So now I'll have a cool coop AND get to be right for saving all that "junk". Huge bonus. Just huge. :D:yesss:

Anyway, enough crowing at being oh so vindicated lol. Great to be here learning from so many experts!

First I have to say thank you all, I've already gained much knowledge from reading here. I had many chickens some years ago but at the time chicken info online was slim pickings so this time around I'm thrilled to know so much more.

I currently have 8 TSC barred rocks and Asian blacks(blues?) in my dressing room, an order placed for a pile of exciting breeds, and a coop nearing completion. Chickens for me are a pet hobby although of course the eggs will be great.

My coop is going to be great with the help of this forum! I decided to make it a loft challenge build, meaning it's being built almost completely with materials i already have, although likely I'll need to buy hinges and latches, haven't dug through those coffee cans in the garage yet so we'll see. I did buy new wire and hardware cloth, safety demands shiny new security features because well raccoons. Here in upstate NY we have critters and weather to spare so building carefully.

My horse barn is full of old doors, random lumber leftovers, just various things I've kept the hubs from burning over the years while he grumbled about my pack rat tendencies! So now I'll have a cool coop AND get to be right for saving all that "junk". Huge bonus. Just huge. :D:yesss:

Anyway, enough crowing at being oh so vindicated lol. Great to be here learning from so many experts!
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're well on your way! Lol
Check out your state thread and get to know some of the folks in your area and pop in on some of the other threads and make yourself at home!
:frow

That's awesome! Feel free to post pics of your chickens and coop and well just about anything..Lol
There is a thread by @CapricornFarm
On coop building. She's been tagged here now so she'll probably pop in and post a link for you. I'm still having a bit trouble with linking threads.lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom