Greetings and Salutations From Bakersfield, California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Umbral_Necropolitan, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    I first became interested in chickens after moving into a new house in a semi-rural area with feral chickens living around it and after watching there numbers dwindle do to predators I decided to try and adopt the two remaining hens. The two hens are related, as one is the mother to the other, and there names are Dodo and Lucky. Dodo isn't the cleverest of birds hence her name and Lucky got her name from being lucky that she was the only one of Dodo's babies to survive to adulthood. The girls are both old english game hens.

When I decidecd to adopt the hickens, I searched the web for information about how chicken breeds, coops, and how to raise them and found BYC. Taking advice from BYC, I bought them a bag of cracked corn and am working on earning their trust so I can get close enough to have a chance of catching them or herding them towards the coop when its done.

Only road block in my way of getting the coop set up right now, is a surgery scheduled in a few weeks and since I have allergies to pretty much any on Earth I am staying indoors to stay well enough to have the surgery. After its over, I plan on getting the coop and run set up for them... I have plans and such and will make a page about it in the coop section of the forum when photobucket lets me upload the plans for it.

In non chicken related subjects, I've been educated in computer science but prefer to work with my hands over working on a computer. I raise box turtles, which I have eight of, there names sorted oldest to youngest being: Snappy (30+ Female), Peach (14 Male), Fred (13 Female), Jim, Ghost (both around 11, Male, Female), Spot, Flip, and Piccolo (around 10, all male).

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome,

it sounds like you are doing everything right, taking time and earning the trust of your hens there.

Best wishes for your surgery and hoping you have a lovely summer getting ready to become a chicken owner as soon as you are well enough.

[​IMG]

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

4. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good luck with Dodo & Lucky. [​IMG] from NC

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    [​IMG] good luck with Dodo& Lucky and I hope you go well with your surgery and make speedy recovery [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

8. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]