Greetings and salutations from the midlands of South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eldondo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Eldondo

Eldondo New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    Here we are, outside of Columbia, the unincorporated town of Lugoff, SC. We made the decision last January to accept eight hens from my wife's sister-in-law as a result of her not wanting all twenty-five that she had to order. So we became chicken farmers. So far it has worked out a lot better than the two ducks we took on a couple years ago. The dogs have accepted them all as part of the family. The ducks tolerate them. As a result of pecking order establishment, we lost one of our Easter eggers, but all is well outside of that. I've got a question regarding the length of time that an egg can sit out before going bad, but I'll run that through the regular forum board. Glad to be here.
    Regards,
    Don

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana!
    And remember, the eggs we get from chain stores are a month old before we ever get them...so fresh eggs will last a long time. I don't collect mine every day. I've left them sitting out for days with no problems (collected, set them in the garage, and discovered them there days later...lol). Not sure what the unrefridgerated "cut-off" is...

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi Don, welcome from Hollywood, SC! I grew up mostly in Camden, but that was a long time ago.......

There is a thread for SC:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=127943&p=130

And another for swaps:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421045

If the temps aren't extreme in either direction, eggs will last a long time. As long as they don't freeze or sit for a while at 99.5 to start incubation they'll be fine. I usually keep mine in a bowl on the counter for 2-3 weeks, no problem.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

9. suzie226

suzie226 New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    Fresh eggs ca sit on the counter for a week

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio. Fresh unrefrigerated eggs last weeks, except around here. We can't keep up with orders for ours. Of course we only sell what is left over. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by