Greetings and Salutations!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by featheredheart, Jul 5, 2016.

1. featheredheart

featheredheart Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Hey everyone, I'm Jennefer, and I'm here to learn as much as possible. I'm a new chicken mom... I have five hens (I hope), three of them are about seven weeks old (a buff Orpington, an EE, and an I'm not sure what breed with scissor beak) and two who are 3-4 weeks old (an EE and a black laced golden Wyandotte). They're all spoiled and treated as feathered family members. In fact, they're all in my house in a giant dog cage/kennel, due to extreme temperatures (110 and up). I'm a huge chicken advocate and would like to some day rescue. This is my little baby with scissor beak: not sure what breed! The feed store called her an ameraucana but I'm not sure![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aww...what a sweet heart! I am not sure of the breed, but you can post her picture in our What Breed and Gender section of our forums for help with an ID... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

You might also stop by this thread on Crossbeaks for help, support and more understanding of the needs of your precious baby... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

Great to have you aboard! Good luck with this sweet pea! And welcome to our flock! :)

3. hukriede10

hukriede10 New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Detroit lakes, mn
    Hello there I'm new to! I'm a new chicken mom 2, I jumped in crazy with 70 new variety of baby chickens

4. featheredheart

Jul 5, 2016
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Aw thank you [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] She is my little princess, she's the goofiest, sweetest bird ever. She may even wind up as a house bird lol. Her name is Esther [​IMG] I'll definitely check out the other threads too. Meanwhile, here's another pic of her: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What a cutie pie!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. featheredheart

Jul 5, 2016
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Aw 70 chicks?! I'm not quite so brave. Plus, I can only have 10 hens where I live lol. I just love them though!!

7. featheredheart

Jul 5, 2016
    Yucca Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

The gaggle lol

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She does have quite a crossbeak and they do tend to get worse with maturity. Maybe you have a vet that could do a little corrective trimming now and then which may make it easier for her to eat.

9. featheredheart

Jul 5, 2016
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I have had her beak trimmed, I have an amazing avian vet [​IMG] He actually referred me to a vet he knows who apparently does a surgery to correct cross beak. I'm getting all the information tomorrow so we can get more information and see if she's a candidate.

10. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Oh wow that's great! She is so adorable! Thanks for joining us and [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by