Greetings and Salutations

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by texaslilpeepers, Oct 8, 2013.

1. texaslilpeepers

texaslilpeepers New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    Finally bit the bullet and signed up for an account.

I have had chickens for years and years.

I have been selling eggs via word of mouth, and then when I started incubating chicks, every batch is sold before they hatch. So I started myself a little business off of it. Little is the operative word.

I have a lot of mutts and grey guineas because that is what I started with at the feedstore here. And then things just got crazy. I have buff orpingtons, barred rocks, coppermarans, and a Splash Silkie. I think I have 38 birds now in various stages. They all free range & get closed up at night tight.

I have 11 coral blue guineas incubating that I am eagerly awaiting hatch next week.

I WANT more buffs in different colors, some silkies, and some rare birds that most people don't have here in East Texas.

I have suffered loss by snakes (chicks/eggs), hawk, dog and young coyotes. The coyote was the worst, during broad daylight, killed just to kill, wiped out half of what I own and I am slowly starting over.

Besides chickens, I work as a freelance paralegal (which I am trying to eventually quit), and I volunteer 70+ hours a month. We also have (2) dogs, (4) cats, (3) horses, (1) donkey and (1) rabbit. [​IMG]

Thank you for letting me drop in.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Sounds like you are very busy.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Wow that's a lot of hours :)

5. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    [​IMG] It is great you joined!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Stacey, welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Predators really stink!! Seems like everything loves chicken. You may want to check out the predator threads on here to advice on warding them off / lessening their numbers. Maybe some electric fence wire would be of good use.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Hi Stacey, Greetings from College Station, Texas. We, too, have a motley flock of about 14 free-range girls that we share with our neighbors. We live barely outside the city limits. Over the years I think more of our chickens have succumbed to free-range neighbor dogs than to any other predator. Also, raccoons and hawks have taken down a few. Coyotes have been spotted in our area, but we haven't seen any. We, too, like to lock our chickens in the henhouse at night, but most of our girls go next door to sleep the the neighbor rooster. Good luck in keeping yours safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by