Greetings, better late than never

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cngsoft, Dec 10, 2013.

1. cngsoft

cngsoft Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    Hello everyone. I discovered Backyardchickens.com two or three years ago and it proved an extremely valuable source of documentation and advice that helped me in some very difficult moments with my birds.

I wish I could give good news together with my greeting, but unfortunately right now I'm down to just one chicken, a four-year-old RIR hen named Caroline, whose health began deteriorating a month or two ago. We assumed it was old age (short sightedness, slower motions) but things took a turn for the dramatic 24 hours ago, when she had a seizure while she sat down on the sofa she's been sleeping on for the past year. Symptoms kept worsening today; I'll write the details on the Emergency forum.

Even if she doesn't survive, I'll be eternally grateful to Backyardchickens.com for the many times that I could help my fowl thanks to the good threads and better comments I found here, and I'll only regret that I didn't join in months and years ago.

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your losses.[​IMG]Hopefully someone will have a helpful answer as to how to treat her. That age is getting a little old for a chicken. Good luck and I hope she gets better soon!

3. cngsoft

Dec 10, 2013
    Cluckcluckgirl, Roostersandhens, thank you very much for your warm welcome.

I already created the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842434/sick-hen-seizures in the hopes that I'll be able to save Caroline's life. Now I'll knock on wood. As long as she's stable, resting in her cradle, there's hope.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your hen. I hope she gets better soon. [​IMG]

But welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. cngsoft

Dec 10, 2013
    Thanks for your nice words, TwoCrows. Right now Caroline has suffered another seizure; I had to hold her, hug her, talk to her until she calmed down and I could return her to her cradle. Now... now I'm down to praying and hoping for improvements.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your first hens and Caroline, best wishes to both of you and hopes that she will get well.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] hope she gets better soon.

8. cngsoft

Dec 10, 2013
    Kelsie2290, thanks for your welcome and your best wishes.

Unfortunately it's too late now: Caroline passed away. She was our last hen, the most charming, docile and intelligent of them all. She's survived by our 12-year-old budgerigar, a wood dove whom she was friends with, two young partridges who saw her as a role model, and yours truly. I'm in shambles.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by