1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MsAyianna, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MsAyianna

MsAyianna Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, nice to e-meet you all.

I've been reading posts for months, but finally signed up today. I think I need some direct input on my chick issue, so...here I am!

Before the tragic Quail Massacre of 2016, I had 60 Coturnix quail and 5 button quails. I can't have chickens in my city, much to my dismay, or I'd have a clutch of Black Astrolorpes...and maybe Arucaunas. Oh well, my aunt is making up for me in a nearby city with 64 chickens!

Thank you all for being here and coming together to make this community. :)

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Great to have you here!!!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock. Sorry to hear about your quail massacre. :(. Best wishes with future flocks and we look forward to seeing you on the BYC forums! :)

4. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    What massacred the quail? And :welcome

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Were your quail lost to predators or disease? You may want to post on the Quail threads for advice, I don't have any experience with them. Just put "quail thread," in the search box and it will pop up for you. Sorry you have such massive losses, that is truly heartbreaking.

7. MsAyianna

MsAyianna Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    My former quail were lost to umm...

Well, my aunt's goats for starters... They let them out a bunch of times and not all of them made it back each time. One of those such times was when I was on vacation. I made a very hasty move of the quail to my house, where I finished up the enclosure quickly and had an obligation to tend to, so I wasn't home at around 3 PM (why 3 PM? A few of the quail laid eggs, but not all of them, so after 2, but before 4) when something managed to break the netting and kill all but one quail.

I'm pretty sure it was someone's ******* cat. There are hawks, but it was broken into from ground level. There are foxes, but they'd have stolen some to eat and SUPER not common. No raccoons in my part of town...Most of the quail were just dead from puncture wounds. The one that survived was a pharoah, so I think it blended into the grass a little better. It had some broken bones, but managed to survive. She'll probably never lay eggs again. I'm going to name her, but I haven't decided what yet. :) If she keeps it up tho, I'll name her Loud Mouth and be done with it, though I know she's just lonely and bored. I keep her in a fairly large pet carrier in the house.

I'm replacing the netting with 1/4 inch metal hardware cloth to prevent such things from recurring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by