Greetings fellow chicken junkies!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bwahk, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Hey all :) I'm B, the newest chicken junkie to join. I've been lurking for awhile and finaly made the plunge to join.

My pal AJ and I have a small farm (its in progress). A few months ago we decided.. hey! We need chickens! A sweet lady offered us two silkies. We had them a couple months, and built them a beautiful coop when we decided (having been bitten by the chicken bug), we need more chickens.

This is where I made the mistake... I didn't research into the local suppliers. I bought a dozen chickens and a rooster from a local feed store. We got them home and all settled in, and a couple weeks later my silkies seemed to be sick. I began hand feeding them but they passed away before I could figure out what it was.

Soon the other chickens began to sneeze, after looking it up I discovered they had Roup. The only explanation I could think of was that the feed store chickens were carriers. I went and got antibiotics to give them and they seem to be getting a little better.

Yesterday I was holding one of the hens and I felt something hard poking out of her thigh area. I found a strange hard organic material sticking out of her skin. I started freaking out, and we decided that whatever it was, it wasn't supposed to be in the chicken. After several labor intensive minutes, I was able to remove it, leaving a small hole about the size of a pencil top in her leg. I treated the opening, and she seems to be doing just fine. I'm still sort of freaked about what it was... I kept the thing just in case. But still... weird.

Anyway, that is our chicken adventure so far. :) its a pleasures to meet you all!

2. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    [​IMG] from Missouri!! So sorry to hear about your silkies. I've never delt with this myself but after learning from this website about quarantine I make sure to do that with any new chickens I get. Hope you enjoy the site!!!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Hope your chickens are doing better today

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Welcome from Missouri. I sure hope your birds are getting better. I am sorry about your silkies, they really can be pretty delicate.

5. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Thanks you guys. :) its cold here today, so they seem a bit more congested, hoping that it'll be sunny tomorrow and they can sit and soak up smell of that vitamin d.

Maiden - so true... beautiful and delicate.

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    [​IMG] I dont have any but want some. That may be my next venture. Good luck with your chickens. If you want advice on treatment options, visit the sick/injuries/emergencies (along those lines) thread and post your symptoms and what you have tried so far, There are so many experienced people on here willing to spill their knowledge and help.

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! Glad you joined.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

9. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by