Greetings from a much warmer Alaska!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alaska Juju, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Alaska Juju

Alaska Juju New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    Hello to all! I am new to the forum, but have been a reader of the site for a while, particularly admiring the beautiful coops that so many of you construct! I live in the interior of Alaska (where my temp this morn is only -10, after nearly two weeks of -45!), and I am especially interested in learning from other members living in Alaska and other cold, northern climes.

I've been raising chickens for over four years now with my fiance, who has raised chickens for ten years, but I always feel there is more to learn. We have 15 ladies now: 14 Buff Orpys from 2 to 4 years old, and 1 Barred Rock who we call Grandma as she has survived more than 8 (we've lost count!) Alaska winters and is still going strong.

I look forward to talking chicken with many of you!

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome and glad its warmed up for a spell. We're hitting a high today of 10 above:) I'm in NW on the (windy) coast.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Another Alaskan!!

[​IMG]

I am SO grateful for the break in the cold weather, as I'm sure you are!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN.

5. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    You have a chicken that has seen 8 Alaskan winters, and you want advice from us??!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Alaska Juju

Alaska Juju New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    So nice to see other Alaskans on here! I hope everyone, and their birds, are enjoying these wonderfully warmer temps! We sure needed a break from it...

Yes [​IMG] Grandma is one tough old bird! She doesn't seem to know how to die, and no sign of frostbite anywhere on her. And she often seems more sprightly and agile than some of the younger ones. Definitely an inspiration for when I enter my older age! [​IMG]

7. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:That's what I was wondering?!!! [​IMG] Welcome!!!! Ummm, I think I'll be askin' you for advice, not the other way around!!! [​IMG]

Edited to add: It feels like a heat wave hit today, huh!!! Told the chickies to unpack their bags for Hawaii-had to break it to them gently!!! They didn't quite understand-so I told them maybe next winter!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Welcome!

It's going to be -20 here in Vermont on Thursday. Brrr!

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

And I get all worried about my feathered friends when it's in the 20s outside???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by