Greetings from a new member!

Ecto04

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Hi there! I’m new here and new to chickens. Three weeks ago we bought 5 newly hatched pullets (hopefully) from our local farm store - 3 buff orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island reds. We named them the Brady chicks - Cindy, Jan, Marcia, Carol and Alice. One of the buffs (Cindy) passed away at about a week old but the rest are thriving.

Our goal for these chickens is eggs and pets. We have two young grandchildren and I would love it if they could feed the hens from their hands when they visit. I know they hated it when they were tiny but we handled them regularly and now they come running across the brooder when they see us and happily take the occasional dried mealworm from between our fingers.

We have a coop and are working on a pen around it. Much as I would like to let them free range, we are just too close to the woods with way too many predators. We are thinking a 20x20 pen around the coop. If we add a few more hens in the future will that be big enough?

Looking forward to our chicken journey. So far it’s even better than I expected! Anxious to learn from you all!
Mary Beth

:frow welcome!! Congrats on your little chicks. Love the names! Sorry about the one you lost. Chickens are a lot of fun and addictive so building bigger is smart! I have quite a few more chickens than that in a slightly larger area and they do great. Best of luck with your new flock. You've come to the right place for great people and wonderful information and advice!

-byc-clouds.png

hithere.gif
Congratulations on your new chicks! I think you'll find they'll continue to come to you and be friendly, but I don't know if I would want children letting them eat out of their hands. I've done it a few times with my grown hens and I have to brace myself because their little beaks are strong and very pointy, sometimes they accidentally grab skin. My 7yr old daughter likes to sprinkle mealworms or veggie scraps out for them and she's also enjoyed carrying them around since she was 4, quite an armful though.

Sounds like you've got a good sized area picked out to keep your birds. Here's a few links you may find helpful:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!
Predator Proofing

Keeping Chickens Without Free Ranging

Good luck in your new adventure!
rainbowed-1.gif

Back
Top Bottom