greetings from a newbie/funny turkey story?

pammmely

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Chino Valley, AZ
I live in Northern Arizona, and recently bought a house with a little bit of property... we went crazy with the birds! We have many many chukar, pheasant, pigeons, japanese quail, bob white quail, turkeys, ducks and chickens. I especially love the bantam sized, their eggs make the best pickled eggs (other than the bite sized quail eggs-yum!)

I had some indoor pet birds, a turkey and a pigeon, they were so much fun. The pigeon lost its mom at a week old, so I hand fed him and kept him in a box next to my bed. Then we acquired a 3 week old turkey that refused to hang out with any other birds. I let him out one day and he followed me in the house, and that was that. He followed me everywhere in the house, and if he couldn't see me or hear me he would freak out and run around looking for me. The turkey and the pigeon became best friends, and slept in a big dog kennel together. After a while, they started sleeping on my pillow and I had to order bird diapers for both of them. The pigeon mostly stayed indoors, but Turk would come outside with us and help us feed the rest of the birds.

One of the funniest stories we have about that is one day my fiance' was out walking around the yard, and he had both dogs (one a Brittany), all three goats, and Turk following him around. The neighbors next door had some friends over roping, and we heard one of them say "Look at that guy, he has a bird dog with a bird following him!"

Unfortunately Pijj got taken from me by a hawk, and poor Turk was desolate. He would jump up on all the places Pijj used to hang out in the house and just cry for him. It broke my heart. Eventually he figured out that he was a turkey, and now he sleeps outside with the other turkeys. I still miss him.

Anyway, I just bought an incubator and have started incubating our own eggs and I am hooked! I just can't stop. Luckily my fiance' feels the same way, so I don't feel too guilty about it. I am so glad to have found this site, it has helped me tremendously. So far I have had every single one of my questions answered in one post or another. Thanks to all who have contributed to my newfound obsession!!!
smile.png

I guess I could also mention my silkie rooster, Spot. He was raised by a girl in town, and once he started crowing she had to get rid of him. He came to me with a manual, a little stuffed animal, and a bag of his favorite chips. The manual had a table of contents where she divided up how and when to bathe him, what his favorite tv shows are (Hannah Montana!!!), what tricks he can do, and what to do if he acts up. It was very cute and well put together. He does like to hang out on the couch and watch tv, although he probably doesn't get to watch Hannah Montana as much as he would like...

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from NH. Obsession is the right word for it. Hanging out here will only fuel that obsession. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom