Greetings from Africa... Can anyone help urgently.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StaceSA, Feb 14, 2013.

1. StaceSA

StaceSA New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi everyone. I live on the coast... at the tip of Africa... I purchased a pair of Perdicula asiatica (jungle bush quails) from a pet shop for my aviary. I have other species of birds in the aviary as well. They all have been living together harmoniously for months. The quails were in an abusive situation when I found them but after a month in the aviary they flourished and started breeding. The female laid 11 eggs of which she brooded 9 and 7 hatched 3 weeks ago. The babies were doing well but now we have had 4 deaths... Out of the ones that are left 2 seem fine... They aren't running around as much as usual so I suspect they are at the early stages of whatever this is. The other one is very lathargic and his eyes are glazed over. He also seems to have a lot of lice. Is it the lice killing them? The aviary is a self sustained ecosystem with natural plants... I am going to scrape their nest and any bare soil out to remove as much of the possible area that could have lice. Is there something I can put on them to remove the lice? If I take them away from their parents at 3 weeks will they still eat on their own? I want to separate them and try treat them but I have no idea where to start. Could they have some other underlying disease? Please help. Thanks

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG]

lice/ mites can and will kill birds. I don't have quail, but I have used sevin dust on my red golden pheasants and chickens to kill mites.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Go to your nearest hardware store, supermarket, or farmer's co-op and get some Karbadust. But get the dust, not the spray! (I used the spray once and it didn't work very well.) Dust the quail and mix some of the dust with water and spray their house, the ground, everything thoroughly. You can follow us after a day or 3, but I found one good treatment with this dust solves the problem usually. Good luck!

5. StaceSA

StaceSA New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Thank you so much for the advice. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed they come right. Poor little things. They are so tiny. It's quite hard to see them like this.

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    [​IMG] Hope Sumi's suggestion works! Good luck!!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Sumi always gives great advice

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Hopefully following Sumi's advice will resolve the problem.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    :welcome From Washington State!
    Sumi will help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by