Greetings from Albany, NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StealthChickens, Jul 10, 2011.

1. StealthChickens

StealthChickens New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Hello there - first post to this site. I just bought 2 silkies from a wonderful person on craigslist in Petersburg, NY. She mentioned this site and here I am. Right now - we just have 2 silkies while I get my feet wet. I wanted to get chickens for free-range eggs so my 3 yo daughter develops a better understanding of food (we also have 5 fruit trees, a strawberry patch, 2 blueberry bushes, raised bed veggie garden and asparagus area all on a 50 x 150 foot lot in the middle of Albany). My objective is that we come home and get one thing to eat from the yard each day. It will be my 3 yo job to take care of the chickens and collect the eggs when they start laying. Granted, 2 silkies won't feed the house, but we're just newbies.

Currently, chickens aren't allowed in Albany, but I spent time talking to all direct neighbors and everyone was fine with it. I have a beautifully maintained yard (tons of perennials) and a good friend gave me a rabbit hutch that we're using as a chicken house. I put the hutch between my house and a 6 foot privacy fence, allowing about 10 x 40 feet to roam. We may expand to a couple more since these two ladies are very unobtrusive, hiding under the hutch or underneath a low evergreen bush). You'd never even know we had them without getting down on your hands and knees to look under the hutch. My only disadvantage is the rest of my yard is viewable through black chain link fence, but the hutch is around the back side of the house, only viewable to one house - through an upper floor window [​IMG]

This morning, my daughter wanted to eat breakfast outside near the ladies, as we call t hem - so we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the yard.

I'll probably have lots of questions and look forward to corresponding with other area locals and those on this forum. I'm also looking forward to advocating for a more chicken-friendly city.

Sandra

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

This website is amazing! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

6. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    [​IMG]

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

8. pioneer

pioneer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Welcome to BYC. Our kids LOVE our chickens. They are very fun to watch !!!!!

9. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by