Greetings from Arkansas

PSK20126

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Gillett, AR
Well I am beginning my research on chickens. My wife and I have purchased 1/2 a city block in a town of less then 600. We figure if the neighbor down the street has chickens then so can we. We have absolutely no idea what we are doing, but we love eggs. She also loves chicken. She has always wanted to have a farm so we are going to give it a whirl. We already have three dogs and three cats (cats and 1 dog are in the house). Any suggestions on a starter bird for us to begin with or any other suggestions would be appreciated! - Dan

i would begin with coop and pen building threads. Then look in the breeds section for what kind of birds you want.
Just about every thread on byc has useful information on keeping chickens. It would be wise to read a couple weeks before jumping into
chicken keeping.

Plymouth Barred Rocks, commonly called Barred Rocks. Buff Orpingtons. Delawares. Black australorps. Any of those (or some of all of 'em) would be a nicel docile, friendly flock full of effective layers. Also heavy enough as a dual purpose hen to process for meat, if you are so inclined.

Don't be surprised when you discover each chicken has its own personality! Watching the flock dynamics has replaced a whole lot of TV for me.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom