Greetings from Azusa, California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eggie and Me, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Good Day All:

Any suggestions on which breeds would be best suited for our climate. Summers are hot 100-110+ with winters cold, rainy and temps down to approx 20..........................

We would like our flock to include 6-12 hens only and want colored or brown eggs. Of course white eggs are fine too.... My experience is with "exotic" birds and handfeeding birds as small as day old cockatails.... We lived on a "pig" farm that included 100's of chickens.....

Somehow I feel this "adventure" will be more personal because we are planning to name our girls and teach our grandchildren about the care and keeping of chickens. Won't finding their first colored egg be exciting?

Thanks
    Eggie and Me

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi Brian:
    Thank you so much for your reply. Of course I have "dozens" of ?'s First wanted to say I went to your web site. Cool... However, you ship eggs? From TN? Without breaking?? Never heard of such a thing. Am very interested...

Is there anyone in Southern CA you could direct me to or does location really matter all than much?

Which breed or breeds would you recommend for beginners and our climate? We would really like colored eggs and brown. Is there a particular breed that is a better egg producer?

Thanks

Eggie and Me

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Hey there eggie [​IMG] ! I am in So Cal and I have RIR chicks and hatching eggs as well as silkie/showgirl chicks hatching 3/15 and fertile eggs. I love my RIR's they lay a nice brown egg and they just lay lay lay! They are very hardy in my opinion. They do fine here in Pomona. There are alot of breeds that will work for you, but when it comes to egg production and hardiness I would say Rhode island red. I'm sure you will get more responses here and you will be able to get all your questions answered. Good luck!

Chef

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

I live in Northern California, but I know that there are many members in Southern California. If you don't get some responses, watch for locations of the people who post.

If you want some help on picking out the best breeds for you, here is a link to the BEST list (60 breeds listed!!).

www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I was interested in chickens that laid large eggs (and a lot of them!!), liked people, were calm in a run (I can't let mine free range) and were relatively quiet (I live in town). But you can decide what is important to you!

Good Luck!!

Cindy

7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Welcome to BYC from NC [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

I can't wait to hear more about your journey on your new "chicken adventure." [​IMG]

9. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by