Greetings from Bucks County, PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BobinDoylestown, Dec 15, 2016.

1. BobinDoylestown

BobinDoylestown New Egg

Dec 15, 2016
    Hi chicken lovers, my name is Bob, and I live on a mini (micro) farm just outside the Borough of Doylestown, PA. I have been chickening for about the last 10 years, with ebb and flow in my flock--ebb largely due to foxes and the occasional door not securely latched--and flow arising entirely courtesy of springtime offerings from the local feed mill and pet store.

As of today, I have 18 hens and 8 roosters(yeah, I know--too many roosters--it's a long story based on totally unwarranted assumptions. Needless to say I won't be buying "straight run" chicks any more.). Most of my hens are Black Star and Aurocana (everybody loves blue eggs, even if they do taste the same), but I've still got a few surviving bantam hens of varying breeds. My roosters are now housed ina separate " boys' dormitory" and have a separate run from the girls. Since I segregated them, there's been virtually no fighting and we've experienced a lot less wear and tear on the girls. They were getting ridden pretty hard before.

I get about a dozen eggs a day in the spring and summer, but am down to onlyn~6/day since Dec. 1. Most ofnthesengo to the local food pantry, but we're consuming 3-4/ day ourselves.

I think that's more than enough for an intro. I'll be posting shortly looking for help in an unexplained death I experienced this morning.

Bob

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Bob, welcome to BYC from the other side of the river. Nice weather we are having, eh ?

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Bob, nice to have you join us! Sorry to hear about the loss, hope you get some answers.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under BobinDoylestown [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your losses [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello, Bob and welcome to our community. Please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Bob, hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by