Greetings from Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maltvarm, Sep 29, 2012.

1. maltvarm

maltvarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Canada
    Hi there! Just introducing myself. I'm a sahm, living on an acreage. We started two new hobbies this year, beekeeping (my husbands interest) and chicken keeping (my interest). We have now added 2 rabbits to the mix, with mixed feelings. (kids begged) Lol
    I grew up raising meat chickens, slaughtering every fall. We are however interested in using ours for laying. We got 5 Columbian Rocks Red cross. We got them as chicks June 4 th, and are expecting eggs at the earliest mid October.
    Is there any way of keeping the rabbits out of the chicken coop (raised about 2 feet off the ground), while still giving the chickens full access? The rabbits are taking over the nesting boxes, and are really just too messy in there for me. They have their own home in the coop, and don't need anything from the chicken coop.
    Thanks! I look forward to joining in here from time to time!
    Barbara.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. My only rabbit is in a hutch by itself so I can't help you with your question. You may try asking in "Other Pets and Livestock" because a few people do keep them together

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!!![​IMG]I agree with Kevin.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've never owned rabbits, so I can't advice you. Do as Kevin suggested and enjoy the site!

5. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    we have thought about getting some rabbits, but havent yet, i'd follow kevin's advice. good luck to ya :)

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & greetings from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I am guessing that you wil need to confine your rabbits away from the coop. You might be able to devise a way for the chickens to get in that the rabbits can't reach - a higher door with a perch in front?

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. maltvarm

maltvarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Canada
    Thank you for the welcome and replies! I started a new thread about my dilemma, and received sound advice to create a raised porch for them to jump up to. I did this by raising their ramp. :). So simple it as slightly embarrassing, lol. :)
    Thanks again!
    Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by