Greetings from central Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jennabug, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jennabug

jennabug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    South Eastern Washington
    Hi BYC community. I'm sure like many people I had been browsing BYC for a long time before joining. I finally had to join. :)
    I started this chicken habit last year when my neighbors had 2 extra Americauna hens which were offered to me. I accepted and whipped up a chicken tractor to put them in. Oh man I had fun, getting to know those hens and pulling them around the yard! When winter came along I realized I needed something more substantial for them... like a real coop. It sounds obvious now, but we had just purchased our first home and were getting settled in and figuring out the house and the property. Anyway, at the same time the neighbors lost 2 of their 3 hens to a hawk, so it seemed obvious to me that my hens should go back to them.
    [​IMG][​IMG] The Americauna ladies in my tractor.

Fast forward a couple of months and I see that the feed store has chicks, which I decide I must have. I picked up 4 barred rock chicks that were about 3 weeks old. Now I really have to start building my coop because that was 3 weeks ago. lol. Oh man they are fun to watch. And oh man are they getting big fast.

[​IMG] at 3 weeks
    [​IMG] a couple weeks later

Also last weekend I was at the feed store to get more chick feed and I was gifted with an 18 pack of fertilized Jersey Giant eggs. After messing with making a homemade incubator, I caved and bought a real incubator. Also we have some of the eggs in the neighbors nest box to see if one of their hens will hatch some. I started incubating this past Saturday, the 9th. Busy busy! In addition to the chicks and the eggs I have 2 cats, 2 big dogs, a husband and his big saltwater aquarium.
    [​IMG]
    Nice to meet you all.

Jenna

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Very cute babies!! And good luck with your hatch. Jersey Giants are a great breed to keep.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks! Good incentive to get that coop built. Good luck with the hatch. Very nice looking GSDs you have.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jenna, welcome to BYC. Chicken math has struck you for sure. [​IMG]

5. jennabug

Mar 11, 2014
    South Eastern Washington
    Thanks everyone. Fortunately my husband is used to me bargaining for more animals. He's lucky we don't have acreage. Lol

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! I love barred rocks [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] your dogs are beautiful. The only thing I know about Jersey Giants is they will be BIG!!

8. jennabug

Mar 11, 2014
    South Eastern Washington
    Thanks!
    I'm going to do my best to not keep the giants as I'm already over our zoning limits for pets. :) I think I have homes lined up for most of them, assuming the hatch is successful. My curiosity often overrules prudence. Hehe

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

Alright what kind of chickens were in the last photo [​IMG]

10. jennabug

Mar 11, 2014
    South Eastern Washington
    [​IMG] My favorite bed-hog chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by