1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from Coastal Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beachervins, Dec 30, 2013.

1. beachervins

beachervins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    My family got me a chicken coop for Christmas (after lots of research and long discussions about adding backyard chickens to our life). The kids (13 and 9) are SO excited to get chickens, but I am trying to make sure we do our research, first. Our coop says it will house 3-5 chickens comfortably, which makes me think we should start with 2 or 3 at the most.

We are hoping to have good egg layers. We would like colorful eggs, although calm disposition is probably a higher priority. We live in a township that does allow backyard chickens. We have a small creek (really really small) in the backyard that runs to the Hunting Bay (off Bogue Sound, between Emerald Isle, NC and Bogue, NC). We have 2 dogs who, a newfoundland and a lab, who are friends with our kids guinea pigs.

What else? Hmm. I guess i just welcome any suggestions. My children want to get chicks, but I kind of think it might be better to get chickens that are a couple months old.

The climate in our area is mostly warm with high humidity and salt air.

Thanks. Looking forward to learning more. My children have researched and say they want to get 2 Ameraucana chickens. Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Monica
    Bogue, NC (The Crystal Coast)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Monica, welcome to BYC. Great Christmas present! With chickens 3 is better than 2. That way if something happens to one the other still has company. Of course 5 is better than 4, and 7 is better than 6 ----just trying to enable here.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! You could try posting on your state thread to see if can find chickens locally if you are looking for older chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina The Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of common breeds so far as temperament etc goes http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j Like sourland said, three is usually a better number to start with in case you lose a bird, so you don't wind up with a single... and take chicken math into account, bet you will want more eventually.
    Ameraucana/Easter Eggers are nice birds, I actually like Easter Eggers a little better, they tend to be better egg layers and don't seem to be as broody, the true Ameraucana usually do lay an egg that is a bluer color though. Easter Eggers are a mix you might want to consider, they also usually lay green/blue eggs, they are really popular and most hatcheries carry them if you wind up getting chicks. (Some hatcheries/people sell EEs as Ameraucana, but Ameraucana and Araucanas are actually breeds with a written show standard etc.)

1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are alright

[​IMG]

We hardly ever bight hard

[​IMG]

They eat all our feed and always follow our pet humans around

[​IMG]

Are you sure they are so tame who want's that