Greetings from coastal South Carolina....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thevans, Mar 14, 2012.

1. thevans

thevans New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Greetings from coastal South Carolina, my name is William and me and my family are new to the "chicken scene". While me and the wife have done our homework and dreamed of raising chickens for years i think this may be the year we take the plunge. Our hope is to find a friendly backyard breed to befriend our family and provide many fresh eggs for our family. We live in a rural neighborhood with not quite an acre on a quiet wooded lot. We hope to start off with 4 laying hens of the Rhode Island Red or Americauna breed . Having just moved from North West Arkansas near the Tyson farms and seeing the broilers packed into those large trucks kinda shys me away from the white chicken breed. We hope to meet lots of new friends and learn tons of info and have triple the fun along the way!!!!! Anybody else from the Lowcountry on here????

2. caitkc

caitkc New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    I'm new here, too :)

I'm from Missouri, but we've traveled to South Carolina (Charleston, Mt. Pleasant to be specific) and we LOVE it out there.

We haven't gotten any chickens yet either and I'm on here to learn more and TRY to decide what kind to get. We live in similar neighborhoods and we're looking to keep our number of chickens to 4 or 5 as well.

Good luck!!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio.....glad you joined us

4. thevans

thevans New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Well my wife is originally from Northwest Missouri . We left there around 2002.

5. thevans

thevans New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks for the kind hello and warm welcom .

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    I lived in Charleston (West Ashley and downtown) for ten years. I now live in the upstate. Welcome to South Carolina and Backyard Chickens. If your in Summerville I think they have rules against chickens. If not get some girls you will love it. If you order Ameracaunas from a hatchery the will not be pure breeds and some may be white in color. The RIR won't obviously.

I have had both RIR and easter eggers (EE, or hatchery ameracanas). In our brooder we have 22 easter eggers. Our kids prefer them to the RIR. As a bonus we get to have green eggs and ham.

Take care and good luck

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by