Greetings from Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stain2319, Mar 4, 2017.

1. stain2319

stain2319 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado
    Hi all!

I'm a soon-to-be chicken owner - we are picking up four chicks at the feed store on March 24 and I am very excited! I've been reading this forum for weeks already as well as every other thing about chickens I can get my hands on. I feel pretty well prepared but still nervous about taking care of the babies.... I'm really good with animals though (my wife calls me The Beastmaster, lol) so I think I will do ok.

I've built them a nice coop and today will be putting the last finishing touches on the attached run. I'll post pics later this afternoon. I'm still trying to decide on the best brooder for them as well as where to keep it. One half of me says keep it in the garage to avoid a mess, the other half says keep them in the house somewhere so I can hang out with them more!

Anyway, this looks like a really great community and I look forward to being a part of it!

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your coop & run! You'll do fine with the chicks, it sounds like you've done a good job of preparing. Some people prefer to keep their chicks out of the house but I always kept mine inside because chicken tv is the best show around, lol.

Make yourself at home here!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, stain2319, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I have an unfinished basement and that works well for me. With just 4 chicks like you're getting, I would not think smell would be a problem provided you changed out the litter frequently. You could always move them to the garage or wherever and finish their brooder time there. Best of luck on your new arrivals - you won't be disappointed! BYC is here to help should you have questions along the way! Good luck and enjoy the ride! [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be getting your chicken adventures started :clap I do like them in the house but as you say it's the mess. They sure do create some for such small little things! I usually like to keep them in the house for a week in the guinea cage brooder that I use but then they go out to the shed to be brooded where they have much more room and it keeps my utility from getting too dusty!

Good luck with your new chicks and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. kirito211

kirito211 New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    nc
    Could anyone let me know what this guiro is mixed with[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    kirito please post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Brood them in the house of course, makes socializing them so easy. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Besides you are Colorado - wide temps swings like Chicago. Your garage would probably be very cold and make heating arrangements for brooder difficult. Besides chicks are the best show in town- they grow very fast . Then they will be (gasp,) chickens.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under stain2319 Welcome!

Wishing you and your flock all the best!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. stain2319

stain2319 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado
    Ok, so as promised, here are a few pictures of my coop and run which I just finished building today. I still need to add a handle to the run door, and paint the nest boxes black inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks like a nice chicken condo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by