Greetings from East TN!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Funkyfarmhouse, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Funkyfarmhouse

Funkyfarmhouse New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Hello! I'm new on here! My first flock of four just started laying about a month ago, so obviously I'm over the moon with excitement! My four ladies are all different. I have an easter egger named Louise (I had another easter egger named Thelma, but she turned out to be a he named Theo and was successfully rehomed), a Light Brahma named Ethel, a golden laced polish named Zula Mae, and a white crested polish named Dolly.

My family and friends have come to terms with the fact that I will almost always figure out a way to bring my chickens up in conversation. Collecting eggs for the first time last month was basically a lifelong dream finally coming true!

I'm sure this site will be incredibly helpful, especially when I increase the size of my flock.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BYC is not only helpful but, the folks on here love to talk chickens - no raised eyebrows, no eye rolling. Welcome to the flock.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on those on those eggs. The novelty never wears off when collecting them! Here is a nice article on adding new members to your exsiting flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock
    Taking your time adding them is a good idea so they can become aquainted before actually putting them together is always best.

Wishing you the best of luck and be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. Funkyfarmhouse

Funkyfarmhouse New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    haha! The other day at work I realized I had been talking a co-worker's hear off about my girls for a solid 20 minutes. He was very intrigued though, and I think I've actually made him think about getting a few chickens. My boss asks about my chickens every time I see him, and he admitted that the reason he asks is because he loves how excited I get when I talk about them, or any of my animals for that matter.

5. Funkyfarmhouse

Funkyfarmhouse New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome!!! Interesting enough, that was the article I came across that brought me to this site. I'm a research junkie, so even though I'm not planning on adding on to the flock until next year, I've already started reading up on it. Before I got my girls, I spent about a year and half reading every book I could find on the topic. I put a lot of energy into picking the breeds I got so they would be fine in any of the crazy Tennessee Valley weather conditions. It appears that energy paid off because this winter was pretty bad and other than being annoyed that I wouldn't let them roam free in the snow and their water would freeze, they were quite happy!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on the eggs! It sounds like you have a nice little flock.

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC fellow Tennessean! (I live not that far from you) [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] Sounds like you have a wonderful flock!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by