Greetings from El Paso Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RickyChickyTavi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RickyChickyTavi

RickyChickyTavi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Hi! I've been lurking the site for a while without joining. My spouse and I are new to chickens. I've owned ducks before, but chickens are a first.

We have 4 right now, 2 Americans and 2...I don't know what. The guy told me they were called Giras, but the closest I can find is "Giro-hatch". Doesn't matter, they're going to be egg laying pets. My little American female has been laying every other day....the two younger "unknowns" haven't done much of anything but try to sit on the American's eggs.

I'm going to go after work today to get three baby ducklings, because now I want to try them again too.

Right now, that's where the bird fancy is going to end. I am toying with the idea of us growing chickens for food, but I'm not sure I could go through with killing them, although I've read through the great processing info here...It may be thought for the future. I'm not too sure about eating something I've named.

We have horses, goats as well as dogs, cats and rabbits. So our critters keep us pretty busy. Well I'm not one for long drawn out intros, my name is Angie and I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning all there is to learn!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Angie

Glad you could join the flock! You must be very busy there with all your animals. It's nice to be busy though. You could post some pics of your birds here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this Imsure members there will be able to help you identify them.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Welcome to BYC Angie..

Good luck on the chickens...and I just had salsa NOT made in El [​IMG]Paso....(sorry)

4. RickyChickyTavi

Feb 25, 2016
    Thank you so much! I'll snap some pictures when I get home this evening. I'm sure they're some sort of game hen, as that seems to be the majority of what's out here....but what they are...No Se. Thank you so much for the wonderful welcome! I've been reading a while and I'm so impressed with how nice this site is and all the knowledge here!

5. RickyChickyTavi

Feb 25, 2016
    LOL was it made in NEW YORK CITY? ( I may be dating myself, because that's a really old Pace salsa commercial)....thank you for the welcome!

6. beemartha

beemartha New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    I know what you mean about killing something you have raised. I started off by watching some videos. Didn't seem too bad. Then I told my husband about it. Then we did nothing.
    Two of our yellow labs caught one of our chickens and she had some pretty bad bite marks and needed to be put down. I asked my husband to put her out of her misery and then I asked him to take the feathers off. He was hesitant, but did the job. She went into some stew I made and it helped with the transition.
    Also, roosters are MEAN! I am starting to incubate some eggs today and at about 18 weeks (i think) we will take all the roosters for the freezer. I won't be sorry about that!

It's all a part of God's intention of providing us with good nourishment. Just DON'T NAME THE CHICKS! LOL

Martha

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Well, I dated myself first, I did not realize that was an old commercial...

I raise CX's for meat every year. It is hard killing them. I always try to keep a few for the next spring and summer. It never works, I have lost 4 CX hens in the last week, they never seem to get past Feb.

So give them the best short life you can, then enjoy them. I raise them for 13 weeks and the get between 9-13 lbs. Which makes a lot of dinners for us!

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's a lot of information available here and a lot of helpful members.

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - i hope you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us!

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by