Greetings from Florida....and Toronto Canada!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StarSpun, Feb 3, 2014.

1. StarSpun

StarSpun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone:)
    My name is Cat and I'm new here! *waves*.

I'm your typical animal nut....and I have a mini zoo to prove it[​IMG].

My husband and I live in Toronto for the summer and then head down to Florida for the winter. We started fulltime RVing back in 2006, did that for 5 years and then got our place in downtown Toronto. We still take the RV south in the winters and have been looking at property in the Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach area since 2008. Just this year we found (and closed on) our perfect place.....it comes with 0.26 acres of land....AND....a chicken coop!!!!

I was super excited about the prospect of getting chickens, as I have been following a vegan lifestyle (other than fish) for some time now. The ONLY thing I miss about it are the eggs (they are actually good for you, unlike dairy!)....and when I happened to pass farms selling eggs where I could see the condition of the chickens, I would indulge. I have always wanted a couple of my own but city living + RV living never quite worked for that:-(

I have been going into full research mode and have picked out my breed (Favaucana). Now I am just waiting to hear on whether or not a friend of mine (with lots of chicken keeping experience) will be moving to the same area as us over the summer so that I have someone to look after my buddies in the summer when I am back in Toronto (paid of course!). If that doesn't work out, does anyone know if people 'chicken sit' for a period of time? Ha ha! The only problem is that I would miss the ladies terribly while I was gone! Would also entertain the thought of taking them as high as Buffalo so that it's just across the border from us, and then picking them up on the way down!

Anyhoo, I am sure I will work out the details at some point:)
    Back to reading some more posts....great information here!
    Cheers!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Cat, [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

4. StarSpun

Thanks Liz9910! Yes, from My Pet Chicken. They seem pretty darn awesome! Just checked into the location threads:) Thanks!

Thanks Gander007!! :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new adventure and enjoy BYC!

7. StarSpun

Thanks Roostersandhens, Kelsie2290 and Twocrows:)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by