1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from Frankfurt, Germany

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Haehnchen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Haehnchen

Haehnchen New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We live in a suburban setting with agriculturally-zoned land we own right over the back fence that's been used for horses and sheep for decades, and we have been doing the same for about eight years. Back in April, our daughter expressed interest in raising a few chickens, and she arranged to not only obtain five fertilized eggs from the local farmer where we purchase our hay, but also to borrow her school's egg incubator. 21 days later, like clockwork, all five hatched in rapid succession, and we kept them in an aquarium under a poultry heat lamp in the dining room, then to the greenhouse. The original plan was for them to live up the hill at a neighbor's horse operation which already has chickens, but it's a bit of a hike and I was soon lobbied into planning a chicken house down by my vegetable garden in our lower meadow right over the rear garden fence. After a bit of research we decided that the Eglu Cube with a run extension was right for us, as 1) it can be moved around, 2) the easy clean-up and protection against mites and foxes held a lot of appeal and 3) just in case the hobby every loses its appeal over time, the aftermarket on Ebay appears quite robust or we can donate it to a local school. It arrived from Oxfordshire and it took us 2.5 hours to assemble, exactly as advertised. I was very impressed with the engineering, and it's far ewxceeded our expectations.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Five, but it's a long story. We started to suspect that "multicam" one was a rooster as it was the most aggressive (seems to attempt to "defend the flock"), had the bushiest tail, and some seriously beefy feet, comb, points and waddle. Then a second white one (ironically, the smallest of the bunch) turned out to be a *phenomenally* loud rooster. We arranged to re-home these two at my wife's cousin's small farm up in Elsoff http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.elsoff-wittgenstein.de/&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 ; he needed roosters for his c. 20-chicken coop because he's had a recent fox attack. So, my father-in-law came down to Frankfurt on some hunting-related business and picked up the two we knew were roosters for relocation up north. About two minutes after we'd taken them out for transport the second white one let loose with a crow! Then the fourth speckled one turned out to be a rooster with a sedate and muffled crow. Then a few days later the fifth brown one started crowing as well! Five eggs with a 50-50 male vs. female probability was 32 possible outcomes, of which one outcome has five roosters, making the probability of this is 1/32 or c. 3%. So, we decided to keep the speckled one and ended up swapping the other four for two brown and two white hens, which is our current constellation.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We really don't know. Here's a link to some photos and perhaps someone can help out http:[email protected]/5978387635/ . The white ones could be leghorns, and the brown ones could be Rhode Island Red or Light Sussex). They're pretty bog standard German chicken breeds. No clue whatsoever on the "multicam" guy.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I had stumbled across the site once or twice, but then saw it mentioned in the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124761681413642361.html that said this site had 35,000 members. I recently spoke at a conference on the rise of "niche" social networks, so I decided to check this one out. Back garden chicken keeping is all the rage here in Europe right now http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...444252188194580.html?mod=ITP_weekendjournal_6 and apparently in the US as well http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904292504576479960464282684.html

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We keep horses and enjoy flower and vegetable gardening, as well as fly fishing and shooting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have a Parson's Jack Russell terrier, a natural swimming pond full of fish, frogs, newts, dragonflies et al, and the odd hedgehog or two.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! Your white hens are leghorns and I think the red girls are red sex links. I don't know what the rooster is. You can post pictures in "what breed or gender this is" and find out too.[​IMG]. It's nice to meet you.

4. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined [​IMG]

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by