Greetings from freezing Wisconsin

MkePainter

Chirping
Dec 29, 2017
Hi guys! New member. I have 4 6-week-old chicks, my first ever. Two are Plymouths, one buff Orpington, and an Australorp. My father owns chickens down in Tennessee so he's a great resource for some things, but it's nice to have a wider community, especially for cold-weather concerns. As I write this, we've been experiencing single-digit temps with wind chills in the negative teens (UGH!) so I've had concerns. But there are lots of other things to learn too, so here I am.

Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

All the best

Pork Pie

Welcome! I raised chicks this winter too. My youngest are 6-7 weeks old now and it's warm enough here that they're starting to transition outside and out of my sunroom, which is great because they're getting boisterous and erm, aromatic. I'm sorry it's so cold in your neck of the woods. Keep yourself and those chicks warm and dry!

Greetings from a former Madisonian (now in RI). Good luck with the chicks--are they outside already?

Hi guys! New member. I have 4 6-week-old chicks, my first ever. Two are Plymouths, one buff Orpington, and an Australorp. My father owns chickens down in Tennessee so he's a great resource for some things, but it's nice to have a wider community, especially for cold-weather concerns. As I write this, we've been experiencing single-digit temps with wind chills in the negative teens (UGH!) so I've had concerns. But there are lots of other things to learn too, so here I am.

@MkePainter Are your chicks outside?

I have 6-12 week olds out in the barn right now, they were brooded out there and have never had a problem with the cold. I need to figure out how to integrate them into the flock without too much drama. My old girls are refusing to leave the coop ... there's white stuff on the ground and they refuse to touch that cold stuff!

Back
Top Bottom