Greetings From Hawaii

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsO, Dec 30, 2014.

1. MrsO

MrsO New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    Oahu
    Aloha Everyone,

Just wanted to do a quick introduction. My family and I recently moved to the island of Oahu, and I'm loving it here!

I stumbled onto this forum while researching zebra doves. Found a nestling the other day and I'm trying to raise it till it's old enough to go back to the wild. Hoping to find lots of info on this page!

Have a wonderful evening!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Aloha, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We live in Hawaii as well, and we've raised a number of young Zebra Doves over the years that have fallen from their nests. We used an eye dropper to feed them baby bird food until they were old enough to eat more solid food. They are such sweet little birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Zebra Dove.

3. MrsO

MrsO New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    Oahu
    Thank you so much! I just posted a (rather verbose) thread over in the pigeons/doves forum. I would absolutely appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share on caring for the little guy!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. The first time we ended up rescuing a baby Zebra Dove, we googled the information on how to feed him. There is a good article on feeding baby birds at http://www.wildbirdrehabhaven.org/Information/how_to_feed_birds.html. For the dove, be sure and use a baby bird food formulated for seed eaters (like Harrison Juvenile Hand Feeding Mix). You can get it from a pet store or a veterinarian.

1 person likes this.
  5. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Welcome to BYC and have a Happy New Year! [​IMG] Good luck with the Zebra Dove!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Mahalo, for joining the BYC flock- always room for more. Hope you are successful raising the zebra dove baby.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Mahalo for joining our wonderful flock!!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by