Greetings from Iowa!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stormyhorses98, Aug 22, 2016.

1. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Hello everyone! I have had chickens when I was younger, but just started getting into them again almost exactly a year ago when I got a Rhode Island Red hen for my birthday. She showed up at my moms work and she was given to me for my birthday to be mine as long as nobody claimed her (they didn't). So I kept my new hen through the winter giving her lots of love an attention and that winter she laid her first egg! I trained her to do tricks and spent lots of time with her to keep her company as we didn't have any other chickens. Then in March of this year I went to our local farm store and came home with 5 Cornish Rock X's and silly me just wanted a few chickens to be friends with my hen and I didn't know at the time they were meat birds... Well long story short on the meat bird topic I went back to the farm store 4 days later after my dad went to work and "sold 21 more meat birds) my first group of meat birds was 30 meat birds... the next was 60, and now I have exactly 100 and it has grown into a small buisness for me. As far as my Rhode Island Reds go I bought 3 more little pullets from the farm store and raised them up and my parents supprised me a month ago, I had been looking for more hens to add to the flock because I had found and gotten a rooster and was planning on hatching but the one rooster was to much for only 4 hens, and they supprised me with 6 more hens! So now we are going to be hatching soon! I can't wait to see the little chicks (hopefully we will have some hatch) running around and having a good time. And on a side note my sister is the primary caretaker of our two rouen ducks, but they are still pretty cute! Thanks for listening! If you have any questions about me be sure to ask!
    ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Edited by staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2016
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, stormyhorses, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! Glad you have chickens back in your life. Best of luck with your hatching and growing flock. If you'd like to chat with other Iowans, you can find the IA link in this forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best of luck to you. :)

4. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Hmm maybe I will have to start one myself I didn't see Iowa on there! Hopefully there are some on here! haha!

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Hello from South Dakota and [​IMG]!! Thank you for joining the BYC flock. [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

I dug into the link and found this 3 pages in https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/182/ia-here
    Some state threads are more active than others. Sometimes people splinter off and make a northern or southern, eastern or western thread of the same state. The link I sent seemed quite large...or at least had a lot of posts. Good luck to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by