Greetings from Knoxville TN!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ronwilli, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Ronwilli

Ronwilli In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Hey all y'all!

We are Ron and Nancy Williams. We just joined the group because we like chickens and we just started our flock and believe there is much safety in the counsel of many.

This is our 3rd flock. The first was in 2006. We raised 6 reds in the back yard of our house in Lehigh Acres, FL. We kept them in a converted shed. Worked out real well. The only problem was chickens were not allowed in the area we lived. We had them for 2 years, never got caught and had to give them up along with the house. This was during the housing crash in 2007-8. Oh well.

Our 2nd flock was a couple of years later. We still lived within the same town but we got brave (or stupid lol) and raised 4 reds. We had a 2 car garage and I built a coop and kept them in the garage. They had plenty of air and it worked out for a while but that's when we learned about the "dust" they produce. It covered everything! So, we ended up giving them up to a local ranch who had them legally lol.

We are now living on 1/2 acre in Knoxville TN and chickens are allowed in the area so we are firing it up again. We now have a flock of 11 total, 9 Reds and 2 Barred Rocks. They have not fully feathered out yet and they are inside the house in a large dog pen where they are thriving and growing. They will soon be transferred to the outside coop, although I have to expand it a bit to accommodate the 11. We planned on 8 but the wife had other ideas lol. We are raising them as organically as possible and we are looking forward to watching them thrive outside and, of course, the eggs.

We also have 4 dogs (2 Chihuahuas, 1 Chi-Apso (Chihuahua/Lhasa Apso mix) and an Australian Sheppard, and 1 indoor cat. We have no children so the animals are our kids.

I work as a computer programmer from home, working a contract with the USCG in Elizabeth City NC. I enjoy photography and model railroading as hobbies. The wife is into Essential Oils and home made soaps.

That's about all there is to our story...we look forward to interacting with the group for there is much to learn.

2. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Ron & Nancy, it's nice to have you here! I'm glad you have found a good place to keep your flock, it's not easy giving up the birds we raise.

Thanks for joining us!

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    awesopme.jpg WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif welcome wagon.gif

4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Ron & Nancy and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
    When you have a sec feel free to visit us over on the Tennessee thread and/or middle Tennessee thread. If you like I'll be happy to introduce you.

5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Ronwilli, 007Sean, N F C and 2 others like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frowHello Ron & Nancy! You’ve come to the right place! We’re all chicken mad here and there’s loads of friendly, knowledgeable members who will be pleased to help you on your chicken journey!

7. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Ron and Nancy :frow Welcome to BYC and back to chicken parenting!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Ronwilli, 007Sean and drumstick diva like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thanks for joining us at Backyard chickens

N F C, Ronwilli and 007Sean like this.
  10. Chickencrazy2018

Chickencrazy2018 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    West Virginia
    Hi guys and welcome!
    I'm so glad you now have a plot of land to have the chickens you want! There is lots of nice and amazing people on here that will help you with any situation that rises!
    I hope you enjoy BYC and don't be shy about posting :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: