Greetings from Lake Helen, Florida!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kreisherk, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kreisherk

kreisherk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm actually a chick mommy wannabe. I plan on having a small flock of about 4 or 5 hens in the next month or so. I've been scanning the forums and books for all the information I can get my hands on since I have zero experience with chickens. I have lots of experience with other pets and wildlife, but none with chickens. I'm currently a 'new-bee' beekeeper as well. I have almost 1yr under my belt. I figured honey bees and chickens may be nice symbiotic companions, at least I'm hoping for that. Also, I've tried to figure out whether or not Lake Helen permits keeping chickens. When I call them to ask questions about other things regarding the area they always want my address so they can see where my property is and how large it is. I have a larger than average property for this area but still not sure of the laws since the ordinances are not easily obtained. Anyway, I will be starting small and keeping only hens, so maybe I can fly 'under the "chicken" wire' [​IMG] regarding any ordinances. Well, it's great to see so many here and am looking forward to reading everyone's stories and how they get along in having chickens.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy to have you aboard! Glad you are entering the wonderful world of chickens - you won't be disappointed! Here are a couple links to get you started. Good luck and have fun!

The Learning Center: great info on the general care and maintenance of chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Breeds: Where you can choose breeds by characteristic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Finally, in case your city is wishy-washy about letting you have birds, here is a link that might help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. victoryX

victoryX New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    I to live in Lake Helen, FL. When I was growing up my neighbors had chickens running all around their backyard and they never seemed to have an issue. They lived in the suburb part of Lake Helen, so not even one of the larger outlying properties. I think you should be fine, but if you ever see officer Patrick. He is the animal control officer, drives a police truck, and he is sometimes up at the Gas & Shop you can ask him if it's okay. I'm sure your probably fine though.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

8. kreisherk

kreisherk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks to all for your warm welcome. And VictoryX, Thanks for the heads up. BTW....Based on your pic I don't think I've seen you around town....hehe[​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

10. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by