Greetings from Lebanon Missouri, we have all sorts here. :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Riverwind Rabbitry, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Riverwind Rabbitry

Riverwind Rabbitry New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    South Central Missouri
    Hello All,

I am new member here, but in no means NEW to chickens LOL. Both my wife and I grew up on small farms, moved to town for job reasons, have worked hard chasing financial dreams. We have sacrificed way too many years of our kid's life to careers and trying to provide them with all those things they thought they had to have. But have come to a conclusion that no one will probably find any tombstone with the words "I wish I would have spent more time at work" carved on to it.

My wife, who was my high school prom date, has put up with me for going on 20 years, and we find ourselves returning back to our roots, and some of the "old ways" in attempts to get a glimpse at a much less complex world. Our place is small, right on the outskirts of town, but we are lucky to be "Grandfathered" in with cattle and pigs all around us. Here on our tiny hobby farm of just over an acre and half we are now raising show quality rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese and pheasants in which we sell to local hatcheries and to animal swap meets and of course the wonderful world of the internet. We both still work fulltime jobs, but hope soon at least the wife can quit as both of our teenage kids finish up high school. We have had allot of "ups and downs" in our life, but have lived by the haunting words of "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger", and well, God proves to us after living thru loosing previous lost jobs, cutbacks and downsizing, s health issues, a car accidents, a table saw accident, and a tornado that nearly demolished our house last spring, he isn't done with us yet, and we are not about to roll over and take the big dirt nap yet. [​IMG]

Now about our animals, we raise many rare heritage breeds of rabbits and poultry, our efforts to preserve some of these breeds for future generations. We raise Silver Fox Rabbits (Black and Blue), Giant Chinchilla rabbits, Orange Netherland Dwarfs (smallest American breed at 2lbs), up to the magnificiant Flemish Giant (largest American breed that can tip the scales at 24lbs!) Along with our rabbitry, we have many small flocks of various poultry, including rare heritage breeds that include SALMON FAVORELLE, MOLTED HOUDAN, LIGHT BRAHMA, CUCKOO MARAN, as well as BLACK AUSTRALOP, AMERACAUNNA (Easter Egg Blue & Green Colors), as well as the wonderful fluff balls known as SILKIES (in Partridge, Buff, White, Black and Blue Splash Colors). We also are starting a nice flock of various GIANT/STANDARD COCHINS (Silver and Golden Laced, Black, Blue and Partridge). We also have rare heritage breed ducks that include CAYUGA & ANCONA, along with the beautiful "wedding gown" SEBASTOPOL GEESE, and RED GOLDEN PHEASANTS. Like many of you all, we started with a couple breeds, fell in love with them all over again. With our love for animals it was all downhill fromthere LOL. now they are our extended family LOL. THEY ARE OUR STRESS RELIEF, they are so fun to watch. We do not use incubators to hatch our eggs, instead we let mother nature take it's course and lets the "professionals mommas" go broody and set on clutches of eggs, we almost always have baby bunnies and or baby chicks, ducks, geese which has brought more laughter and relaxation to my family than anything imaginable.

Please feel free to check out our website, we pride ourself with our wide assortment and love to share it with others. This website is a wonderful place and we are happy to have been invited to join!

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
    Woow,
    Wish I lived in the country!!!
    Welcome I am kind new to chickens I need all the advise I can get!

[​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG] from Texas!

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

6. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Welcome from Iowa [​IMG]

7. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    I am wonderingif you have ANY mottled houdan eggs forsale at all! I am desperate to find some Mottled houdans

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Eric and Sarah!

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

9. Superman11383

Superman11383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Bunnell, Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by