Greetings from Los Altos Hills, CA

Jevans31103

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Just became a member a few minutes ago. My son is building me a coop. I live near the woods. I will put the coop in the shade. I plan to fence off an area of the property that's in the woods for the chickens. Do you recommend them being in the shade most of the time (the woods) or should I let them roam in the yard where there's sun and shade - and keep the dog on a leash or inside the house?

welcome-byc.gif

I have chickens also. I would recommend to let them roam in the sun but just make sure to watch them for predators such as a fox, bear, or Hawks. For the dogs I would keep them on a leash for a little while to get used to the new surroundings. (The coop) also let the dogs get used to the chickens also, and then maybe keep the dog on the leash and let them get a good look at the chickens. Then maybe later on you can let the dog or dogs off the leash.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Sun and shade is best; the hens need the sunlight to stimulate their pineal gland for maximum laying. Just be sure the dog can't get to the chickens. As many BYC members will tell you, chickens and dogs don't usually mix. We get lots of posts from new members who are horrified because their seemingly benign dog (often even small breeds like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly decided to chase and kill their chickens, and once a dog has done this it is virtually impossible to break him from doing it again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

agree wholeheartedly with Michael's advice. Dogs + chickens - usually = dead chickens. Whether the dog is just playing or deadly serious - the chicken is the one that dies. You never hear of chickens killing a dog. Sometimes people bring this on themselves. They hold up a chick to the dog's face so they can meet - dog thinks owner is offering him a treat - dog obliges by grabbing chick.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the good advice! We will build a coop with hardware cloth (1/4 wire) all around since I live in the mountains. I had chickens many moons ago but this area has a lot of wild animals. I thank you SO much for the advice on the need for sun & shade and the importance of keeping the dog and the hens separate. I couldn't agree more with all the good advice I received today.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom