Greetings from MB Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sweetie2012, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Sweetie2012

Sweetie2012 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    HI guys I'm from Manitoba Canada, born in the states, my biological family is in SK, after we were married my husband and I moved to his home area in the North-West interlake region. My family has had chickens, and chickens over the many years but this spring was a first for my husband and I as a couple... we were given 74 chickens... through predators, and some being accidentally hurt and having to be butchered we now have around 55 chickens.... they were all straight run so we have a lot of roosters. come this fall we hope to be down to 20-22 hens and 2 roosters. I'm hoping to post a couple questions on another thread/part of the forum.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Sorry for all your losses. Predators can do a lot of damage to a chicken flock.

But it sounds like you have a nice flock! Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your losses![​IMG]

Enjoy your flock and welcome to our's!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about the loss of your chickens. We have lots of members from Manitoba and if you want to get in touch with any of them, you can contact them at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=manitoba+canada. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry about the losses but, with all the roosters you can stock your freezer. You might drop in on the predator section to determine what type attacked your flock and how to best persuade them to go elsewhere. Are you allowed to shoot or trap them? Welcome to BYC

7. Sweetie2012

Sweetie2012 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome. We think the "Predators" were a mama fox teaching her kits to hunt and they decided to get our chickens. One of our neighbours has a resident fox that lives under one of their granaries, and she raises a litter each year there. so anyways... :) and as for shooting or trapping the fox not really... so far since we've moved them to the actually coop the fox has been on the outside of the run but not able to dig in thanks to us putting the 1 in chicken wire a foot down on the ground all the way around our 16x16 ft run.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That should work, particularly if you cover the chicken wire skirt with some dirt so that the fox doesn't see it before she starts to dig.

9. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry about your losses, thats a tough deal.
    I am from Alberta but just spent two weeks in and around Gimli- my parents live in Arnes. Its a beautiful part of the world you live in but, holy, were the mosquitoes bad this year!
    Enjoy your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by