Greetings from Melbourne Florida!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by kaylakala, Mar 20, 2008.

1. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    We just got 15 week old Rhode Island Red chickens from the local feed store. They sell them every Easter.

I took my 4 year old too look at the cute chickies and duckies and told hubby.

Well he went and got some.

Now we have to build a coop and chicken yard. Any suggestions?

2. Cabe

Cabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    Florida
    Welcome! [​IMG] I'm just south of Jax. I would suggest going to the Coops part of this site and looking at everyone else's. I got great ideas for my latest coop from this site.

3. kaylakala

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    I'm reading as fast as I can!!!!

I'm really nervous about all this.

Hubby says if its to much we can always eat them.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about that though.

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Welcome Kayla! No worries, we are all here to help! You have just found 7,000 new friends. [​IMG]

5. kaylakala

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Yippee! [​IMG]

This is going to be an interesting journey.

BTW I LOVE that song you have in your signature!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    It will be the best one you have ever taken. [​IMG] In about a month you will have fifteen more chickens,you just watch.

7. kaylakala

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    LOL I'm wondering how these guys will fit in the backyard now!!

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, I'm in Middleburg Fl. Nice to know I'm not the only crazy chicken lady around these parts:lol:

9. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a concrete slab that was supposed to be used for a dog kennel. We have a 12X12 chain link kennel on the slab. Then we have another 12X12 kennel attatched to that for a run. We have a plastic type storage shed from Lowes that I lock them up in every night so I dont lose anymore to the coons. I buy the small fine shavings from the feed store and put the shavings in the house then I put a very thin layer on the concrete. It makes it so easy to take care of. I change it about once a week and pick out the poop with a manure fork every morning and fluff up the bedding. We are planning to extend the run another 20 feet or more soon. We plan on using just the wire horse fence with the smaller squares and fencing the top so the hawks dont get them. We have hawks that hang around alot and take whatever they can get their sticky feet on. There are tons of ideas on this site to help you figure out what you want to build. Having chickens are alot of fun. Enjoy it:D!

10. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by