Greetings from Miami, Florida

Colleen67

Hatching
Aug 21, 2018
We have a baby chicken, not a small chick, but not fully grown that we found dumped and wet in a parking lot. So we are new to this. We had to put him on anti-biotics because he was sick-sneezing, runny nose, trying to breath through his mouth. What a turn around that was. We have had him almost 3 weeks and he has put on some weight, LOVES to sit in out lap or shoulder while watching t.v. and he preens himself-or plays with out hair. We think he was someone's pet because he walked up to my daughter-instead of running away. We have vultures and hawks and it is hurricane season with a lot of rain right now, so he is indoors. After hurricane season, we will make an enclosure with a top to it so he can go out side-supervised. But he has to know where we are. If he can't see us he chirps. He is clean. His poops are mostly solid with a few here and there a little runny. I just hope we can give him a great life. I hate to think what he went through so young and little. He looked so sad in that parking lot.

Hello and welcome to BYC. You seem to be doing a great job so far :)

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Wonderful on the save!! You are giving this bird a second chance at life. :) Definitely get him on some poultry feed, being that you only have one bird, and won't go through a 50 pound bag, I would go with 5 pound bags so they get used up before the food gets stale or goes bad. Order from a reputable place, Amazon and the likes can sell old feed that is bad already. I have a lone chicken right now who is no longer laying, I have been ordering Starter feed off My Pet Chicken. Hatchery's will sell fresh healthy feeds. You could probably go with a starter feed as well, it has no calcium as a Layer feed would. I am using their Manna Pro Non Medicated Chick Starter. It's 5 pounds for a little over $5. Never use any feed that is more than 3 months old, 4 months max.

I would get him on some probiotics right now, you can use human grade stuff. 1/8 teaspoon or so in a quart plastic waterer.

If you have any other questions along the way be sure and ask us. Welcome to our roost! :)

Hi! :frow So happy you joined our roost! That chicken is so lucky to find you!!!! ❤️ if you plan on keeping her, I would suggest getting a few more chickens to keep her company. Chickens are flock animals and do better with more than one. You will want to build a predator proof coop and run if she is a keeper. Good luck & Have FUN!

awesopme.jpg

That is a nice way to get into chickens!

Follow twocrows advice for feeding

Back
Top Bottom