Greetings from my Neck of the Woods!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peep a Cheep, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Peep a Cheep

Peep a Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    West-Central Wisconsin
    Hello,
    My name is Tricia, and last year I moved into my Neck of the Woods. Yup, I now own a Neck! I kid you not, the house came with just such a sign, and enough land to finally raise chickens. I'm fairly certain I drove my (now) husband near to distraction with my chicken-talk over the last 2 years, but as of this past May, it's a reality. (I'm fairly certain he loves them just as much as I do.)

We have 6 chickens, 3 Easter Eggers (one was labeled as a Leghorn, but is quite clearly not now that she is grown), two Australorpes, and a Rhode Island Red. Each chicken has such a crazy/wonderful personality, and I truly enjoy coming home from work to my 'Chicken TV'. I really look forward to joining the community here, I've been lurking for most of the two years I've been pestering my husband about chickens, and can't wait to get to know folks and share stories, laughs, and knowledge. I've attached some pictures of our chickens and their coop...which is a work in progress, and I'm currently trying to decide how I'm going to winterize it.

The coop is a "heavily modified" Precision Pet red barn, the run is a dog kennel our neighbor donated for eggs (yes ,there is a cover to keep predators out)

[​IMG]

Once the coop was done, we built them a 'sandbox' to play, forage, and bathe in.

[​IMG]

Then we decided to add stumps and wood chips. Finally, we built them a swing set.

[​IMG]

The girls helped to build the swing set, "Can we eat it? Does it contain bugs?"

[​IMG]

This is Buttercup, the 'Leghorn', who is always looking for food. "Hi, Thanks for the watermelon, what else do you have for me to eat?"

[​IMG]

Birds of a feather, forage together.

[​IMG]

Have a lovely day, and nice to meet you all!

2. Ashley Stroud

Ashley Stroud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Welcome! So happy you joined!
    Your girls are so cute and I love the variety you gave them in their run! I was a lurker for quite some time too! I just got my first chickens this Spring and decided to join. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful.
    Don't forget to introduce yourself on the Where Am I Where Are You forum; you can get great info for your local area there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your coop/run is very nice and you have a beautiful flock. Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, your run is like an amusement park for chickens- I'm sure they love it.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I love that pic of Buttercup...

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You have a very nice setup. I recommend laying an "apron," field fence on the ground around their house and pen to prevent predators from digging under and getting in the pen/coop. Also add hardware cloth onto the bottom third of the chainlink fence going up about 3' to prevent predators from reaching through the chain link fence and grabbing one of your birds. You can tie the apron onto the base of the chain link fence going out about 2'.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

So glad you joined us..nice looking flock!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

You have a beautiful flock!

9. Peep a Cheep

Peep a Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    West-Central Wisconsin
    Thanks - I bought the hardware cloth, but I hadn't even thought of an apron!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lovely flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by