Greetings from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rwcomets, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rwcomets

rwcomets New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    We just adopted two red comets. Not really super familiar with the breed. Was told by owners it was a cross between Rhode island red and golden comets. Can anyone help the newbie owners with any egg laying info or anything else that might be helpful

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under rwcomets [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with Red Comets but if you pop that in the search option you may find some threads on the breed or reviews.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes to you and your flock.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

I had never heard of red comets...did a quick search and found 3 different answers and none were the mix you have.

Here's hoping they will be friendly, fun and prolific layers [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - I hope that they lay well for you.

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, rwcomets, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes! [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I believe that's another name for the red sex link birds. With those you typically get girls that lay large brown eggs almost every day but they may "burn out" at an earlier age. Usually around 2 years of age they are done with steady egg laying. Here's a link to the reviews of red sex links from members that have had them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/red-sex-link

Having said all that, I had 3 of these in my mixed flock and I really enjoyed them because of their personalities...they were the flock clowns and had such fun personalities. I only had them about 1.5 years so don't know how they fared as they got older.

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!

8. rwcomets

rwcomets New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the info, I will let you know how they progress

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by