Greetings from NE Kansas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jltdubs, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jltdubs

jltdubs New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    I raised chickens, quail, pheasants, geese, peafowl, and a duck while on the farm with my first husband. My new guy and I raise four hens in the backyard, which is the cause for my membership. We should have looked up the code, and we got a ticket for our girls.

We have four lovely ladies. They are all Rock Red from Orscheln Farm and Home.

Like I said above, we got busted with our girls and found this site while researching how to change policy with our city. Your site is great! We already found the thread regarding new policy research and proposals.

We camp and hike whenever we can. National Park visits are always on our "to-do" lists. Kayaks are a recent hobby of ours.

We have an old dog (13 year-old Golden Labradoodle before it was an actual breed), and two old cats. My fear is that we are going to lose these aging critters at close intervals. :(
    I teach science at the high school, and my husband teaches music.

Currently, we are accumulating information in an attempt to petition for a policy change with our city code that lumps chickens with "undomesticated animals." Any links or sample proposals that members have introduced at their local levels would be appreciated.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with getting your city code changed to allow chickens!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Maybe you should visit the thread for people who have house chickens, they could vouch for chickens being great pets.

5. jltdubs

jltdubs New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Will do! Thanks!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I hope you can get some chickens soon! Enjoy all your adventures in life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by