Greetings from Near Knoxville...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MomMomKimmi, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi, I'm Kim from TN. I have a Small flock (so far) of Australorps, 1 Roo & 3 hens. However, My husband built a HUGE brooder for 3 (supposed) Barred Rock Pullets (but you know how it is at the Co-op re: sexing). Since this Giant MONSTER of a Brooder is occupying my Coffee table in the living room, it seems a shame not to add more, don't you think?

Would it be ok to mix chicks that were just a few days old with some that are a little over 3 weeks old? Should I try to find older chicks instead? How and when should I introduce them to my 1yr old flock?

2. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    3 week old chicks might pick on day old chicks.
    Can you partition off the brooder?
    I introduce to grown chickens at between 8 and 12 weeks depending on the chickens and I let them be visible but separate for a couple of weeks first.

And Welcome!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

IMO I would not mix the babies with 3 week olds. You can use the same brooder and separate them by age.

Here's a link to an article on integrating new chickens to an established flock:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Most recommend the look, don't touch method to get them to know each other before allowing them to congregate. You really do need to wait until they are older.

I would suggest posting the question under Managing Your Flock and likely you will get experienced specific suggestions.

I cannot imagine a brooder on your coffee table…lol… but is better entertainment then tv.

Good luck with your new chicks.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Kim

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with the above posters. Usually you can add smaller chicks to older chicks upto about 2 weeks of age after that the chicks have usually established there own pecking order in the brooder. Adding small day olds for example would be too much of a risk with the three weeks old.

The link sunflour has left for you is a great read with lots of usefull pointers. I've found the look and touch a good method. When you do introduce them when they are fully grown add extra feed and water stations so no one is bullied out. Also do it under supervision just incase the pecking order scuffles become too much.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I would not introduce one day old chicks in with 3 week olds. The older chicks will likely pick on the younger ones, or trample them. I would try to find slightly older chicks if possible.

Sunflour has given you some good information on introducing younger birds into an established flock.[​IMG]

Good luck with your chicks!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by