Greetings from new guy in Madoc, Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dennis Linton, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dennis Linton

Dennis Linton New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Madoc, Ontario, Canada
    Greetings folks! Old farm boy here in Madoc, Ontario (about half way between Toronto and Ottawa). Raised a lot of cattle and hogs and milked a lot of cows in my time but my chicken experience is limited. Forced into early retirement due to some health problems (nothing horrible), I have been putting together some things to provide reasons to get up in the morning and to occupy the time when I can get myself out the door.

I have had a few (half dozen or so) chickens free ranging and laying eggs. I have one Light Brahma hen that is very productive in the egg production - still laying 50-60% going into her third year. Anyhow, decided to raise some replacements from her and recently acquired a young (8 months) Light Brahma roost. A week after introducing the pair, started collecting hatching eggs. Got to 10 in two weeks and installed them in my home made, computer controlled incubator (http://egg.dmlinton.net).

I have a dozen colonies of honeybees at the moment and half a dozen rabbits, including a young Flemish Giant buck, being delivered this afternoon.

I have some questions on candling brown eggs at the moment and will post on the appropriate board in a few minutes.

Best regards,
    Dennis

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Dennis, welcome to BYC and good luck with the incubation. Sounds like the sort of hen to build a flock around.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Dennis. You sound like a very handy person to have around. You can also post on "Canadians, check-in-here thread." Great way to meet neighbors.

People often post how to's & photos of their homemade incubators and I bet yours would be a great candidate for tech wise folks.[​IMG]

4. Dennis Linton

Dennis Linton New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Madoc, Ontario, Canada
    Thank you. Yes, she seems to be the 'old reliable'. One of the things that I like about the Brahmas is their cold tolerance for some of the wild Winters we get here in Ontario. I just turn on a heat lamp if nights are to go below about -15C (about 5F) and the Brahmas seem happy enough. That rose comb helps too.

- Dennis

5. Dennis Linton

Dennis Linton New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Madoc, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks. I was thinking of doing an incubator howto - its an Arduino Mega doing the supervision and control, a multiple relay board for turning fans, three 25 W lights (heaters) and humidifier (fish tank aerator bubbling a Mason jar of water) on and off, three DS18B20 temperature sensors, a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor. It is all in a Langstroth deep 10 frame bee box with rigid insulation bottom and sides. I use a laptop to retrieve the Arduino serial data and display it as well as sending revised temperature and/or humidity control setpoints to the Arduino.

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Dennis and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard and please do share you incubator wizardry with everyone!

All the best
    CT

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Dennis, good luck with your hatch!

10. Momx4ON

Momx4ON New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Hi Dennis.

My family is hoping to move to your neck of the woods - we are looking at a place just south of the village in a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by